The Skype app for the iPhone/iPod touch was just updated. The new 2.1.2 version is available now in the App Store. The enhancements look to improve a user’s overall Skype experience, but none are significant. If fact, for the most part, the update simply addresses and fixes a list of bugs.
Improvements include a new Go Offline setting. Now you can choose how Skype behaves when it runs in the background. There are also better descriptions listed for each available option. Apparently some users were confused by how some of the options functioned.
In addition, the Skype app includes improved event notifications. They now appear in a friendlier format.
Resolved issues include:
- Receiving events during Voicemail playback no longer causes a crash.
- Initiating multiple Skype Searches caused a crash.
- The chat keypad now behaves correctly when receiving a call.
- Incorrect entries were displayed in event notifications.
- Voicemail audio was erroneously routed to the speaker after incoming chat event tone.
- Reliability has been improved when closing the App on iOS 4 devices that don’t support multitasking.
If you were hoping for Skype to finally include video chat within the app, you’ll need to wait a little bit longer. The feature is not included in this update.
The Skype app is available in the App Store today.