The combat flight simulator genre hasn’t hit it big on any platform outside the PC, but Z2 Live hopes to make a splash with their upcoming multiplayer-based freemium title MetalStorm: Online. The game is already available on the Canadian App Store as a universal app, according to PocketGamer, and will be launching May 12 globally.
Gameplay appears to be a mix of arcade dog-fighting and sim-like control of a flight simulator based on modern planes. PocketGamer also points out that a co-op “survival mode” exists for gamers looking to team up with their comrades and shoot down some baddies. The game will also feature the expected deathmatch style of aerial dog-fighting to truly test your skills as a pilot.
MetalStorm: Online is multiplayer based, with games being played out via Game Center, and it can be played with either a Wi-Fi or a 3G connection. It offers a freemium model of coin collection not typically associated with air combat games on the App Store. If you look at the in-app purchases available from the Canadian app description, you’ll notice that MetalStorm: Online can be an expensive game despite its free initial price tag.
The smallest and cheapest coin pack is only $.99, while the largest and most bloated one can set you back $99.99. Whether the game will remain competitive to gamers who are skilled pilots, but want to truly play it without additional coin purchases, remains to be seen. Here is the list of features from the Canadian 2.0.1 release (taken from app description):
- Real time multiplayer – compete against other players online on 3G and Wi-Fi
- Multiplayer, Leaderboards and Achievements powered by Game Center
- Next-gen 3D graphics with Retina Display support
- Dozens of unique aircraft to choose from
- Customize your aircraft with missiles and machine guns
- Survival Mode: obliterate waves of enemies with a friend in Co-Op multiplayer or singleplayer
- Perform advanced maneuvers by swiping in different directions
- Earn XP and level up to unlock more powerful items
- Talk with other players via the optional in-game Voice Chat system
- Full 360-degree flight in 3D space
- Gyroscope enables extra precise controls for iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4th generation devices
If you are a Canadian resident or have access to their store you can grab yourself a copy of MetalStorm: Online now for free.