The application allows users to make VoIP and video calls to other Skype fans, over Wi-Fi or 3G. As outlined in the app’s release notes, features of Skype for iPad include:
- Join Skype on your iPad in a few moments or just sign straight in to your account.
- If you already have a Skype account, your Skype contacts will automatically be there on your iPad.
- We’ve made adding new Skype contacts really easy.
- Once they’re in your Contact list, call, video or instant message them in one touch.
- Flick through recent calls and instant messages in your Skype for iPad history.
- Skype for iPad works over Wi-Fi or 3G (operator data charges may apply). Call Skype contacts on their iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, PC, Mac and even Skype enabled TVs.
You can download Skype for iPad for free, and obviously it’s compatible with the iPad only. However, an iPhone and iPod touch version of the application is also available.
If you’re an iPad owner looking for a FaceTime alternative, take a look at the free Skype for iPad application now, and let us know your thoughts in the comments.