Earlier this year, Firemint excited iOS gamers with the release of Real Racing 2 HD v1.1, which added full high-definition video out when used with an iPad 2. Only a couple months later, Firemint announced they’d be taking the feature wireless, thanks to iOS 5′s enhanced AirPlay capabilities. Today, iOS 5 is available and so is Real Racing 2 v1.12.
So, if you own some of Apple’s latest iDevice gizmos, it’s time to take part in some very cool racing action. Real Racing 2 HD‘s video-out features:
• Full-screen, gorgeous 1080p (1920 x 1080) visuals
- No black borders
- No scaling – full HD
• Silky smooth 30 frames per second
• Dual-screen racing – real time telemetry on your iPad 2
If that weren’t sweet enough, about a week ago, Firemint teased us with even more details about this console-like functionality. If you have more than one A5-powered iDevice or a few friends, challenge up to three others in a unique local multiplayer race. Connected through a 2G Apple TV, each player gets their own quadrant of the HDTV — a quarter of the screen — and uses their iPhone 4S or iPad 2 as a wireless steering wheel.
• Fresh new main menu scene
• Real-time dynamic shadows and specular lighting on car interiors for iPhone 4S
• Normal mapping applied to car interiors, select car exteriors and driver arms for improved lighting and detail on iPhone 4S
• Enhanced road lighting with normal and specular maps on iPhone 4S, to highlight details that were previously indistinguishable
• Various additional visual upgrades for iPhone 4S
• Memory optimizations to minimize crashes
• Numerous minor improvements and fixes
Real Racing 2 HD is designed for iPhone and iPod touch running iOS 3.1 or later, and available in the App Store for $4.99. Real Racing 2 HD is compatible with iPad and iPad 2 running iOS 3.2 or later, and available in the App Store for $6.99. Game Center features require iOS 4.1 or later. Wireless AirPlay features require an iPad 2 or iPhone 4S running iOS 5.0 or later and second generation Apple TV.