One of the more fascinating apps to arrive recently for the iPad is 48 Hours Mystery from the folks at CBS Interactive. The free app includes information and video clips from the popular true-crime series. Best of all, an in-app purchase unlocks full-length episodes and other premium features.
Launched quietly last month, 48 Hours Mystery is the perfect companion to one of television’s most interesting and understated long-term series. In its freebie form, the app includes previews of upcoming shows and extra video clips not included in the on-air broadcast.
For just $4.99 per year, however, the 48 Hours Mystery app transforms itself into something all together different, making it much more entertaining and valuable to the iPad owner. 48 Hour Mystery subscribers include on-demand access to full episodes from the current season. In addition, members are able to search and browse the archive of episodes dating back to 2005.
Other membership benefits include:
- View previews of upcoming shows
- Access written transcripts of each episode
- View photo galleries related to the crimes
- Video extras include footage, evidence and interviews not available on-air
- Post comments about the episode and see what other fans have posted
- Share your reactions to each episode with your friends and followers on Facebook, Twitter or via email.
While some may reject the app for its in-app purchase component, we think $4.99 per year is more than reasonable. For crime story buffs, the 48 Hours Mystery app is perhaps the must-have app of the year. Get it today in the App Store.