Great news, Apple TV owners: FireCore has recently updated its Seas0nPass jailbreak solution for Apple’s set-top box, adding untethered jailbreak support for the latest version of its operating system (4.4.4).
That’s right: hot on the heels of iOS 5.0.1′s untethered jailbreak (credit to @pod2g for his hard work on that!), FireCore – the maker of the aTV Flash (black) jailbreak software – has launched a new version of its free jailbreak tool. The team, who thanks @pod2g’s exploits in the announcement blog post for the update, notes that the latest version of Seas0nPass can provide a fully functioning untethered jailbreak for second generation Apple TV devices running “iOS” 4.4.4 (the very latest version of the Apple TV’s operating system).
As a reminder, here’s a list of the new features added in 4.4.4:
- AirPlay Mirroring: Now with video mirroring – wirelessly stream what’s on your iPad 2 screen to your HDTV.
- Photo Stream: View photos recently taken on your iOS device and pushed to your Photo Stream in iCloud.
- Trailers: A whole new way to browse and view hundreds of the latest theatrical trailers.
- National Hockey League: Watch live games. View highlights, scores, and more.
- Wall Street Journal Live: Watch up-to-date news, business commentary, and financial analysis from leading experts.
- Audio output: Addresses an issue in which audio may not play through the optical port when the TV is turned off.
- Netflix: Added support for Netflix in Mexico and Latin America.
- Stability and performance: version 4.4.4 includes general performance and stability improvements, including a fix for an issue that displayed an error when playing some video content.
Importantly, the jailbreak is compatible with a number of plugins, including:
- Couch Surfer (works)
- Last.fm (works)
- Media Player (works)
- NitoTV (works)
- Overflow (works)
- Remote HD (works)
- Rowmote (works)
- RSS Feeds (works)
- Weather (works)
- XBMC (works)
- Plex (0.9.0 beta versions only)
If you’re looking for more than just a jailbreak, consider purchasing and downloading aTV Flash (black). This package adds a number of exciting features to one’s Apple TV via a jailbreak, including support for alternate file formats, the ability to surf the Web (and stream HTML5 video online) and much, much more. Currently, aTV Flash (black) is available for $29.95.
However, if you’re just looking to jailbreak your Apple TV (2G), download Seas0nPass. As mentioned, it’s currently available for free.