Kickstarter is where bad ideas go to die. Fortunately, it’s also where good ideas go to live. So, in a fitting gesture of giving back to the crowd that sourced its company’s success, Buckyballs has teamed up with Brookstone to announce the finalists for this year’s William McShane Fund. The winner — as voted on by you and me and interested Interneters all over the world — will get $25,000 and an exclusive Brookstone-backed nationwide product launch.
For your consideration, these are the 12 finalists:
- Day Maker: An iPhone-charging alarm “toaster.” Ongoing.
- Soundlazer: A parametric speaker that uses ultrasonic carrier waves to transmit directed audio. Funded.
- MirrorCase: A case with a built-in, high-quality mirror that reflects any image in front of the iPhone’s leading edge. Ongoing.
- HICKIES: A groundbreaking lacing system that turns your shoes into slip-ons. Funded.
- Brydge: An elegant keyboard that transforms your iPad into a high-quality laptop. Funded.
- nesl: An open-ended desk organizer. Ongoing.
- JuiceTank: The first ever iPhone case and wall charger in one. Funded.
- Une Bobine: A flexible and patent-pending stand, sync, and charging cable for iPhone. Funded.
- TapCaps: Patent-pending capactive stickers that make any glove usable on modern smartphone touchscreens. Funded.
- SleekSpeak: Wireless speakers for your bicycle. Failed.
- Remee: The REM-enhancing, lucid dream-inducing sleeping mask. Funded.
- Amplifiear: A stick-on sound amplification device for the second- and third-generation iPads. Funded.
Who should win? That’s a tough one. I would pick the Day Maker, but — as I intimated yesterday — no single, no dice. HICKIES could be useful, especially when I’m trying to lace up my kicks after a brutal session of heavy squats or deadlifts. But if I’m choosing what represents the most retail-ready product here, it’s got to be the Brydge. I don’t know why folks so desperately want physical keyboards for their iPads, but clamor they do, and something like the Brydge seems tailor-made for a Brookstone display. So that’s my vote.
To cast yours, visit the William McShane Fund website. As a bonus for participating, you’ll receive a code for a 20-percent discount on your first (or next) order of Buckyballs.