You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Bryan M. Wolfe
| July 17, 2012
For iPhone 3GS Customers, Apple Has Cut The Number Of Unsupported iOS 6 Features By Two
Earlier, we highlighted some of the new features in iOS 6 beta 3. Now, some new iOS 6 features previously unsupported on the iPhone 3GS are now available for these customers. According to the iOS 6 preview page, iPhone 3GS customers are now able to use shared Photo Streams and VIP mail filtering. As such, the following previously mentioned limitations have been removed:
This is obviously great news for iPhone 3GS owners concerned that some iOS 6 features won't be carried over to their handset. These features do remain unsupported on the iPhone 3GS, however:
- Shared Photo Streams requires iOS 6 on iPhone 4 or later or iPad 2 or later, or a Mac computer with OS X Mountain Lion. An up-to-date browser is required for accessing shared photo streams on the web.
- VIP list and VIP and Flagged smart mailboxes will be available on iPhone 4 or later and iPad 2 or later.
First launched in 2009, the third-generation iPhone remains available through Apple and AT&T. For more information on iOS 6 restrictions, please see our June report, which has been updated to reflect the changes mentioned here. Via: MacRumors
- Some features may not be available in all countries or all areas. Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later. Cellular data charges may apply.
- Siri will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd generation) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.
- FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4S or iPad (3rd generation) with cellular data capability. Carrier data charges may apply. FaceTime is not available in all countries.
- Offline Reading List will be available on iPhone 4 or later and iPad 2 or later.
- Made for iPhone hearing aids require iPhone 4S.
- Find My Friends and Find My iPhone enable you to locate iOS devices only when they are on and connected to a registered Wi-Fi network or have an active data plan. Not available in all areas.