You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Bryan M. Wolfe
| July 12, 2012
NBC Universal Releases Two Olympics Apps, One That Offers Live Streaming For All Events
NBC Universal has released two apps in preparation for the 2012 Summer Olympic Games. Both apps offer iPhone/iPod touch and iPad customers free coverage of the Games, which begin July 27. The two apps are NBC Olympics Live Extra and NBC Olympics.
NBC Olympics Live Extra[caption id="attachment_319369" align="aligncenter" width="640"] NBC Olympics Live Extra - iPhone[/caption] NBC, for the first time, will stream all 3,500 hours of the Games on the iPhone and iPad. In doing so, you'll have access to alternative camera views and replays on the go using the free NBC Olympics Live Extra app. To stream live events, however, you'll need to login with your cable, satellite or telco TV subscription. A quick look suggests that as long as you subscribe to at least one of these services, no matter the market, you'll be good to go. Pre-Games Features include:
- Video on Demand: access short-form video clips to preview the London Olympics and relive the Beijing Olympics
- Online coverage schedule: find out NBC’s online listings schedule and set event reminders
- Live Events: watch every event of the London Olympics LIVE!
- Full Event Replays: relive all the great moments of the Summer Games with full event replays
- Channels: watch simulcasts of Olympic programming on NBC Universal television cable channels
- Gold Zone: check out the Gold Zone Live Streaming Channel featuring every gold medal event LIVE!
- Alternate Camera Views: view multiple camera angles for sports such as gymnastics and track & field
- Push Notifications: receive reminder alerts for upcoming events
- DVR: most live streams and all full event replays will have DVR capabilities
NBC Olympics[caption id="attachment_319370" align="aligncenter" width="480"] NBC Olympics - iPad[/caption] Meanwhile, the free NBC Olympics app lets you follow your favorite sports, teams and athletes, and engage with other fans on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ During the Olympics, you can follow every event from London, including real-time results and schedules, medal counts and TV and online listings. And during the nightly Primetime Show televised on NBC, the app will feature a second screen experience that makes a great companion to the on-air broadcast. Pre-Game Features include:
Additional In-Games Features:
- News: overall and by sport, plus NBC Olympic Talk blog
- Video on-demand: watch NBC Olympics highlights and featured videos
- Photo galleries: slideshows capture the action, emotion, and splendor unique to the Olympics
- Team USA: athlete profiles, news, video and photos
- Sports info: news, video and photos for all 32 sports
- Hometown Coverage: select your local NBC affiliate to get news, video and photos about athletes from your hometown
- Destination London: learn more about the host city with video, photos and news
- Twitter Tracker: see which Olympic athletes, sports and topics are being talked about on Twitter with interactive heat maps
- Social networking: share Olympic Games content with your friends via Facebook, Twitter and Google+
Keep in mind, NBC Olympics video is only accessible in the U.S. and certain U.S. territories. The app requires a 3G, 4G, or Wi-Fi connection. For other Olympic apps be sure to check out our previous report, or take a virtual tour of London. Also, be sure to check out the London 2012 – Official Mobile game. NBC Olympics Live Extra and NBC Olympics are available for download in the App Store. Which Olympic sports to you plan on watching?
- Results & Schedules for all 32 sports: updated in real time
- Medal Counts: overall and by sport
- TV & Online Listings: look up NBC's TV and online coverage schedule and set program reminders
- Primetime Companion: use your device as a second screen and enjoy and interact with contextual content to enhance your Primetime viewing experience
- Push notifications: get breaking news, programming reminders, and news and results for your favorite teams and athletes