Having been promoted to version 2.0, each of the three variants of the popular GTD app may now be referred to as Things 2.
Available as a free update for all existing users, Things 2 boasts a couple of features common to all Things apps: Things Cloud and Daily Review.
Things Cloud is a dedicated service that allows you to sync your to-dos across all of your supported devices.
Launched in public beta last February, Things Cloud can now be enabled on your iDevice or Mac. Said to be a more efficient syncing service than iCloud, Things Cloud replaces the previously implemented Bonjour Sync.
As for Daily Review, it lets you easily see what you need to attend to by the end of the day. To-dos that are due or scheduled for the day appear automatically at the top of your Today list. You can then decide (i.e, review) which to-dos to start within the day.
Another new noteworthy feature introduced in Things 2 is the scrolling Date Picker.
Accessible on the iPhone and iPad apps only, the improved Date Picker lets you tap on the next few weeks or scroll through the next months in a continuous stream.
Beyond the aforementioned features, Things 2 also brings a host of significant enhancements.
For the iPhone and iPad versions:
- A refreshing new look (iPhone only). Some great visual refinements make working with your to-dos a pleasure.
- Cancel To-Dos. If you decide not to complete a to-do, tap and hold its checkbox.
- Log Immediately. To-dos can now be moved to the Logbook automatically as soon as you complete them.
- Projects in Today. Add whole projects to Today instead of just single to-dos.
- First Day of the Week. Choose the first day of your week independently of your device’s default setting.
- Calendar Weeks (iPhone only). If you rely on numbered calendar weeks, just rotate the new date picker to landscape orientation.
- Accessibility. Much improved accessibility when using VoiceOver.
- New Engine. A re-engineered core for a blazingly fast Things Cloud performance.
For the Mac version:
- Compatibility for OS X Mountain Lion.
- A re-engineered core for a blazingly fast Things Cloud performance.
- Retina graphics for the new MacBook Pro.
- Full-Screen mode.
- Reduced window chrome and monochrome toolbar buttons.
- Visual refinements for the Tags & Quick Entry windows.
- Redesigned Reminders integration to make import & export simpler.
- The app is now Sandboxed for OS X security.
- Many other improvements.
Note that the Things 2 update requires iOS 5 or later and OS X 10.6.6 or later.
Now here’s your high-priority to-do for today: update to Things 2.