You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Bryan M. Wolfe
| September 16, 2012
The AppAdvice Week In Review
Apple officially launched the iPhone 5 at a media event in San Francisco, Calif. on Friday. In addition, Cupertino announced a new iPod touch and iPod nano, and iOS 6.
The iPhone 5
Price: The iPhone 5 is available in three variations: 16GB ($199), 32GB, ($299), and 64GB ($399). A 16GB iPhone 4S is available for $99, while a 8GB iPhone 4 is priced at under $1.
- Apple Is Not Including A Lightning To 30-Pin Adapter With The New iPhone 5 by Joe White explained how Apple decided not to include a converter adaptor with the iPhone 5. Instead, customers will have to pony up an extra $29.
- Here's Why Your iPhone 5 Isn't Going To Need A Bumper also by Joe White said how you could save an additional $29, by not having to purchase a Bumper case this time around.
- Why Apple Called It The iPhone 5 And Why It Took So Long by yours truly offers a history of the iPhone 5 name and why it took so long for Apple to bring it to market. Hint: It had a lot to do with the iPhone 4S, history, and Apple's determination to get it right.
- No Surprise: iPhone 4S Trade-In Values Begin To Drop by Brent Dirks suggests that Apple's previous handset is no longer an easy sell on the secondary market, and why.
- The iPhone 3GS: 2009-2012 by Brent Dirks remembers Apple's longest-selling third-generation iPhone, which has officially been retired.
- Apple's Keynote Is Now Available To Watch Online by Christine Chan offers full video from Wednesday's special event.
New iPodsNot interested in the new iPhone, but still want a new Apple device? Not to worry, as Apple introduced the thinnest iPod touch ever, and a brand new iPod nano. [caption id="attachment_338648" align="aligncenter" width="767"] 2012 iPod Touch[/caption] The fifth-generation iPod touch has been redesigned with a 4-inch Retina display in an ultra-thin and light anodized aluminum body. Just 6 mm thin, and weighing just 88 grams, the newest iPod touch is the thinnest yet. And, for the first time ever, the iPod touch is available in five vibrant colors. Price: iPod touch is available in two models: 32GB ($299), and 64GB ($399). [caption id="attachment_338649" align="aligncenter" width="821"] 2012 iPod nano[/caption] The reinvented iPod nano is the thinnest iPod ever, at just 5 mm, and features the largest display ever built into an iPod nano, allowing you to enjoy more of your music, photos, and widescreen videos. The new iPod nano comes in seven new colors with color-matched wallpapers. Price: The 16GB iPod nano is available for $149. Take a look at Apple's first new iPod ad:
iOS 6 arriving Sept. 19As Juli Clover reported:
We knew about a lot of the features coming in iOS 6 ahead of time, but now they’ve officially been announced. First we were given a demo of turn-by-turn navigation, which Apple fans have been wanting for years. Passbook was introduced once again, reminding us that soon paper tickets will be a relic of the past. Mail was improved quite a bit, and will now allow users to resend important emails and create VIPs to never miss a message again. You’ll see an all new App Store when you visit after installing iOS 6, with a controversial card-style layout that we’ve seen in beta.
iPhone 5 Event SummaryBe sure to check out AppAdvice's full summary of Apple's Sept. 12 fall event.
- AT&T Could Face Mass Exodus Of iPhone Customers by yours truly explains how now could be the time to drop AT&T.
- Jumping Ship From AT&T? Not So Fast ... You May Lose An Important Feature by Dom Esposito suggests otherwise.