You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Bryan M. Wolfe
| November 7, 2012
AT&T Will Invest Heavily In Their 4G LTE Network During The Next Three Years
AT&T has announced that they will spend $14 billion over the next three years to upgrade their wireless and wireline IP broadband networks. The investment plan, Project Velocity IP, will support growing customer demand for high-speed Internet access and new mobile, app, and cloud services. According to Randall Stephenson, AT&T chairman and chief executive officer:
This is a major commitment to invest in 21st Century communications infrastructure for the United States and bring high-speed Internet connectivity — 4G LTE mobile and wireline IP broadband — to millions more Americans.Once fully implemented, Project Velocity IP is expected to bring:
As a longtime AT&T customer, I'm thrilled by this news. It is nice to see the nation's second largest cellular company making the commitment.
- 4G LTE network expansion expected to cover 300 million people by year-end 2014
- Wired IP broadband network expected to expand to 75 percent of customer locations in AT&T's 22-state wireline service area by year-end 2015
- Fiber deployment expected to reach 1 million additional business customer locations, covering 50 percent of multi-tenant office buildings in AT&T's wireline service area by year-end 2015
- 99 percent of customer locations in wireline service area expected to have high-speed
- IP Internet access via IP wireline and/or 4G LTE