Of the four U.S. broadcast networks, CBS is the only one that hasn’t fully embraced iOS by making their programming readily available on the iPhone/iPod touch and iPad. The CBS Connect app hasn’t changed this, although its launch is a step in the right direction.
Using the free app, viewers are able to access:
- Live social feeds give you the latest fan chatter
- Videos Clips from CBS shows
- Photos from episodes, behind the scenes, special events and more
- Cast Bios and Polls
- Quick access to the CBS primetime schedule
- Easily share your favorite videos and photos with friends
In addition, select shows are enhanced with the CBS Sync feature that first went live in the NCIS: Los Angeles Connect app last fall. This second-screen feature kicks on when a viewer is watching an episode either live on their local CBS station, on-demand, or on their DVR.
The app’s second-screen features include:
- Episode-specific insights and anecdotes provided by the shows’ creative teams
- Behind-the-scenes access for each episode, such as photos, videos and maps
- Spotlights on key locations and sets, like the NCIS: LOS ANGELES Ops Center
- The ability to easily follow and track social comments from the shows’ stars and creative talent
- Character back-stories, quizzes, polls and more
CBS Sync launches with each and every new episode of “NCIS: Los Angeles,” “Hawaii Five-O,” and “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation” beginning Tuesday, Jan. 8. The feature is likely to arrive for other shows in the future.
According to Marc DeBevoise, executive vice president and general manager, CBS Interactive:
Seeing fans embrace the second screen in this way has further validated our multi-platform strategy and we’re excited to bring fans one app that sits across CBS programming where they can engage in discussion, connect with their favorite CBS stars and talent, and dive deeper into each and every episode of the shows they love.
As indicated previously, CBS Connect is a step in the right direction. However, it doesn’t offer what many of us have long been waiting for: a way to watch full episodes of CBS shows on the iPad for free. Currently, select CBS titles are available for streaming via the TV.com app. Unfortunately, the app doesn’t fully support the iPad. Meanwhile, ABC, NBC, and FOX do offer full episode streaming of their shows on the tablet.
Nonetheless, CBS Connect is available now in the App Store.