Later today, Hollywood will celebrate the best movies of the year during the annual Oscars telecast. In a run-up, we present some of the best entertainment-related iOS stories of the past week.
Movies, Movies, Movies
The App Store is all decked out for the biggest night in movies. As Kimberly Price first reported, there are a number of apps available now to make your viewing of the big show even better. Best of all: most of the apps are free, including the official app for the Oscars.
Want to be a movie maker yourself? Consider the story behind one of the best documentary nominees.
“Searching For Sugar Man” tells of story of two South Africans who go in search of their music hero, Rodriquez, a 1970s rocker. Unfortunately, before the film was completed, the folks behind it ran out of money. Enter the 8mm Vintage Camera app, which was used to complete the film. Described as “like Instagram for video,” the $1.99 app allows users to add retro filters to video footage.
You should also take a look at the newly released TouchEdit app from “Iron Man” editor Dan Lebental. The $50 app is a frame-accurate video editing system for the iPad that uses timecode to export the project to a non-linear system. To achieve this, users must have two monitors; one that serves as the source, while the other is the record monitor.
Finally, one of the most decorated movies of the past year has been “Skyfall.” As Aldrin Calimlim reported, in celebration of the recent launch of “Skyfall” aka “Bond 23″ on Blu-ray and DVD, Fox Digital Entertainment has released the Skyfall Gun Barrel app on iOS. It’s an app designed to do one thing and one thing only: to help you shoot your own gun barrel sequence à la “James Bond.”
Other entertainment-related news of the past week include:
- You Can Now Sync And Watch Full Episodes Of ‘Conan’ In The Team Coco iPhone App
- Nielsen To Expand TV Viewing Measurement To Include iPads And Other Systems
- Listen To Your Audiobooks On The Go With The New Universal Version Of Audible
- Netflix 3.0 Brings Player UI Enhancements, The Better To Watch ‘House Of Cards’ With
- Purported iPad 5 Case Suggests Thinner Design Similar To iPad Mini by Aldrin Calimlim gives further proof that a new mini is coming sooner, not later.
- Apple Getting Sued For ‘Planned Obsolescence’ Of iPad 3 by yours truly explains some lawyerly moves being made against Apple in Brazil over the iPad 3-to-iPad 4 transition.
- Explore Swedish Lore Through A Creepy Puzzle Adventure In Year Walk by Christine Chan explains what could be the iOS game of the year.
We remember one of the most bizarre Oscars telecasts in the past quarter century. If tonight’s show starts with Snow White taking the stage, expect a very long night. Enjoy!