You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
| June 11, 2013
BBC Releases Its First Official Weather App For iPhone
British Apple fans can now check on the BBC's Met Office-powered Weather service from within a dedicated iPhone app. Available free of charge and optimized for the iPhone and iPod touch only, the recently released BBC Weather allows users to check on current weather, view future forecasts, and to find information on sunrise and sunset times, UV levels, pollen, and more. As the BBC explains in the app's release notes: "Wherever you are, and whatever your plans, you’re always prepared with the latest weather forecast from BBC Weather." Features of its BBC Weather app include:
Of course, the BBC's Weather app will only have a few months before it must compete against Apple's own revamped Weather application, which is set to launch with iOS 7 in fall. Featuring a "flat" design, live animations, and a one-screen display, iDevice users will likely be impressed with Apple's own built-in Weather app once the seventh iteration of the company's mobile operating system becomes available. [caption id="attachment_428127" align="aligncenter" width="298"] iOS 7's Weather app.[/caption] Nevertheless, BBC Weather's detailed information on "Sunrise/Sunset times and UV, with Pollen and Pollution information for the UK," could win a lot of British Apple fans over. At the moment, BBC Weather is available to download in the United Kingdom's App Store free of charge, and is optimized for the iPhone and iPod touch. Take a look at the new app now, or for more of today's news, see: Apple's iTunes Radio Service Has A Long Way To Go, Watch Out, Foursquare: Yelp Introduces New Feature For Local Business Discovery, and Hands-On: Apple's Revamped Camera App Is Picture Perfect.
- Simple and clear design for easy access to our most detailed and up-to-date information
- Search for locations (automatically added to your favourites), or use your current location
- Hourly forecasts with detailed information for the next 48 hrs (UK)
- Look further ahead with 3 hourly detail (UK and International)
- Tap each hour for a full detail including Pressure, Visibility and Humidity
- A day overview including Sunrise/Sunset times and UV, with Pollen and Pollution information for the UK
- Swipe vertically to view all your favourite locations
- Accessibility for users of text to speech and voice over
- Designed and optimised for iOS