You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
| September 26, 2013
Apple Launches iDevice-Powered 'Automatic Setup' Feature With Apple TV 6.0
Apple has made configuring its set-top box a whole lot easier with its recent Apple TV 6.0 software update. Though information such as network settings, Apple ID accounts, and languages previously had to be inputted using either an Apple Remote or a Bluetooth keyboard, Apple has now made it possible for users to transfer such information using an iOS 7-powered iDevice. Thanks to the "Automatic Setup" feature, users need only touch their iDevice to an Apple TV in order to transfer settings to the set-top box using Bluetooth. [caption id="attachment_467837" align="aligncenter" width="505"] Automatic Setup.[/caption] As outlined in an Apple Support document, here's how Automatic Setup works:
The feature depends on Bluetooth 4.0, which is enabled on compatible Apple TVs and iDevices as of Apple TV 6.0 and iOS 7. As such, products compatible with Automatic Setup include: the iPhone 4s or later, the iPad 3 or later, the iPad mini, and the iPod touch (fifth-generation). For more information on the process, take a look at the aforementioned Apple Support document. See also: Realmac Software Brings Back Original Clear To-Do App Following Customer Backlash, Thanks To New iPhones, Apple's Share Of The Chinese Smartphone Market To Double, and All Engines Go For NimbleBit's Long-Awaited Pocket Planes Follow-Up, Pocket Trains .
- Connect your Apple TV to your television and power and wait until your Apple TV displays the setup screen.
- Unlock your iOS 7 device and ensure that Bluetooth is enabled. Also ensure that you are connected to the Wi-Fi network you want to use with Apple TV.
- Touch your iOS device to your Apple TV and wait for the prompts to appear on your iOS device and Apple TV.
- Enter your Apple ID and password on your iOS device.
- Choose if you want Apple TV to remember your Apple ID password, and if you want Apple TV to send data to Apple.
- Your Apple TV will start the configuration process, including connecting to your Wi-Fi network, activating Apple TV, and setting up your iTunes Store account.