You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Bryan M. Wolfe
| September 16, 2013
One Final Look At Apple iOS 7 Compatibility Ahead Of The Public Launch On Sept. 18
This Wednesday, Sept. 18, Apple will release iOS 7 to the public. When they do, users will finally get to experience Control Center, iTunes Radio, and much, much more. However, we’d like to remind our readers that not every iOS 7 feature will work on all devices. Additionally, iOS 7 won’t be available at all on some legacy devices. Here's the latest information on iOS 7 compatibility, as of Sept. 16, 2013:
No compatibilityApple’s newest iOS won’t be available on the iPhone 3GS or older models. Additionally, iOS 7 won’t load on the original iPad, or the iPod touch (4th generation) or earlier.
Limited compatibilityMany devices will run iOS 7, but with some important limitations. These include:
- Panorama format is available on iPhone 4s or later and iPod touch (5th generation). Square and video formats and swipe to capture are available on iPhone 4 or later, iPad (3rd generation or later), iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation).
- Filters in Camera are available on iPhone 5 or later and iPod touch (5th generation). Filters in Photos are available on iPhone 4 or later, iPad (3rd generation or later), iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation).
- AirDrop is available on iPhone 5 or later, iPad (4th generation), iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation) and requires an iCloud account.
- Siri is available on iPhone 4s or later, iPad with Retina display, iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply. New female and male voices will be available initially in U.S. English, French, and German.
- Find My iPhone enables you to locate iOS devices only when they are on and connected to a registered Wi-Fi network or have an active data plan. Some features may not be available for all countries or all areas.