You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
| October 16, 2013
Oyster, The So-Called 'Netflix For Books,' Splashes Into iPad With Universal Update
The world is your oyster. And now, Oyster's world of books is yours to read on your iPad as well as on your iPhone or iPod touch. That's because the official app of Oyster, the so-called "Netflix for books," has just been updated with universal support for iPad. Released early last month as an app optimized for iPhone and iPod touch, Oyster is now optimized for iPad as well. Oyster for iPad features a new dark design with more space between elements. It also boasts full-screen browsing with bigger and higher-quality cover images. In addition, it comes with landscape mode support for browsing and reading. Of course, sync is supported for activity and books across iOS devices. [caption id="attachment_475360" align="aligncenter" width="320"] Oyster[/caption] The following improvements to browsing, discovery, and reading are also included in Oyster's universal update:
Also including various bug fixes and performance improvements as well as a new design for iOS 7, the new version of Oyster is available now in the App Store for free. The app is compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad running iOS 7.0 or later. Oyster offers unlimited access to more than 100,000 books for just $9.95 a month. Currently, though, Oyster is invite-only. As it happens, the update also includes sending of unlimited invites from the app's settings section. For more information on Oyster, check out Christine's review of the app and of the service itself here on AppAdvice. [gallery link="file" order="DESC"]
- More recommendations are now featured in Home based on your recent activity.
- Each genre now features a “Recommended for You” section surfacing books based on your activity.
- “Recently Added” books are now featured in Home.
- Added instant results (as you type) to Search.
- “New & Noteworthy” is now called “Oyster’s Picks” — same great picks, just a new name.
- Added cross-fade transition to go forward and back between pages.
- New, faster book-opening animation.