If you’ve been looking for the perfect fitness tracker, you may want to hold off on any purchases for a little while. According to CNET (via 9to5Mac), Nike has plans to launch an updated FuelBand in the coming months.
Nike has scheduled an event on Oct. 15, 2013 with plans to talk about the future of physical activity. Apparently, the company had plans to announce a new FuelBand in November, but Fitbit’s recent announcement may have had an influence the decision to schedule a mid-October event.
According to 9to5Mac’s source, the rumored second generation FuelBand is expected offer a wide variety of improvements:
- The design will be similar overall and still wrap around the wrist.
- The new FuelBand will be constructed with new materials that will result in a much more durable design that could sustain stronger environmental conditions.
- The new FuelBand will include much better battery life in order for customers to not have to worry about charging their FuelBand up every couple of nights.
- While versions with Heart Rate monitoring capabilities have been rumored, we’re hearing that said functionality may not make the cut for this model.
- The new FuelBand will be built with Bluetooth 4.0 low-energy to connect to new smartphones and work more efficiently. This plays into the improved battery life factor.
- The display and general software operation of the device will be nearly identical to the current model.
The Nike FuelBand has been a huge success in the fitness world. As an iOS connected accessory, the FuelBand tracks your activity with its official app and helps you achieve different fitness goals. There’s no word on an official release date, but it’s safe to say that something new from Nike is right around the corner.