You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Bryan M. Wolfe
| November 14, 2013
Coin Could Compete With Apple's 'iWatch' To Become The Mobile Product Of 2014
How many credit and debit cards do you own? What if I told you that by next year, you could carry around one card and leave the rest behind? That is the premise behind Coin, a new Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) connected card that hopes to launch next year. Approximately the size of a single credit card, Coin can store all your swipe-able cards, and be used to pay anywhere cards are accepted. You simply toggle through your stored cards on Coin’s digital display to select the one you wish to use. From there, swipe Coin like you would with any other card. Best of all, Coin can sync with your mobile phone and alert you when you’ve left it behind. If it becomes lost, Coin will disable itself. Still worried about security? Coin uses 128-bit encryption for all storage and communication. Each Coin ships with a card-swipe dongle that connects to your smartphone or tablet. This allows you to upload all of your cards onto the mobile app, which automatically stores them on your personal Coin card. From there, you’ll only need the app when you want to manage, add, or delete existing cards. [caption id="attachment_486286" align="aligncenter" width="1800"] Coin[/caption] Features include:
Take a look: http://youtu.be/w9Sx34swEG0 Beginning today, Nov. 14, Coin is launching a crowdfunding campaign in the hopes of raising $50,000 to begin production. Coin will eventually be priced at $100. However, if you contribute $50 now, you’ll receive the card for half price, plus $5 for shipping. Special discounts include $5 off for every friend you refer. Coin is expected to ship its first batch this summer. Coin looks very interesting and we can't wait to see it make its debut. We'll be following Coin in the weeks and months to come. For more information, visit onlycoin.com. Here you can also learn more about the company's crowdsourcing campaign.
- Storage of all of your credit cards, debit cards, gift cards and membership cards onto one Coin card, with the ability to manage, add or delete any of your cards using the accompanying mobile app.
- Pay using a Coin anywhere that cards are accepted - restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, etc.
- Coin is completely secure. If you get too far away from your Coin or leave it behind somewhere, the mobile app will alert you and the Coin will disable itself if it’s lost - ensuring no one can use the cards you store on it.
- There is no need to ever recharge the battery – each Coin lasts for 2 years, is shock and water-resistant and will not demagnetize if left near other cards or magnets.
- Easy-to-use digital screen tells you which card you are using; just tap the button on Coin to toggle through your list of cards.