You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
| November 22, 2013
Marvin E-Reading App Goes Universal, Original iPad-Only Edition To Be Discontinued
The ridiculously feature-rich e-reading app Marvin has just been updated with a variety of enhancements. At the same time, it has undergone a major change, as far as its availability in the App Store is concerned. First, the new enhancements are outlined below:
[caption id="attachment_488910" align="aligncenter" width="320"] Marvin[/caption] And now, we proceed to the said major change, whose introduction calls for a brief version history lesson. Marvin was originally launched on iOS a year ago as a free yet iPad-only app. Then, just last September, a separate Marvin app for iPhone and iPod touch was released, priced at $4.99. But now, the latter edition has been updated with universal support, thereby gaining native iPad compatibility. And to make things simple, the original iPad-only edition is set to be removed from the App Store soon. If you've been using that edition, don't worry. You're free to migrate to the new universal edition at no cost. That's because the new Marvin app for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad is currently free to download in the App Store. Note that it's compatible with iOS devices running iOS 6.0 or later. For more information on the changes, check out the official Marvin blog. [gallery link="file" order="DESC"]
- Free app theme: Following Marvin on Twitter from the settings screen unlocks the Cool Blue app theme.
- This update contains several Dropbox optimizations. You might need to relink to Dropbox and enable location sync.
- Marvin now lets you link to your Dropbox account from the library screen (no need to go back to the home screen and go to the services settings page).
- Moved library shuffle function into sort menu.
- Moved library refresh button out of the organizer into the main library screen.
- [iPhone] Shows current sort in library screen.
- [iPad] Tighter spacing in library expanded view.
- [iPad] Shows series and series number in library condensed view.
- Improvements to the calibre connector and Marvin XD for calibre.
- Rearranged some settings in the “General” tab.
- Marvin remembers and applies correct hyphenation settings in Publisher Settings mode.
- Several EPUB compatibility improvements.
- Several UI enhancements and bug fixes.