Gaia GPS has been wholly reinvented in this latest version, bringing all of the features that have made the app so successful in the past few years. It offers downloadable topographic, satellite, and road maps, perfect for those trips off the beaten path. The interface has been carefully thought out to make navigating the back country easier than ever. You can even record tracks, way points, and other crucial data for finding your way through the woods.
Watch the trailer
Check the details on WatchAware
Plan a hike with Gaia: GPS. Gaia GPS provides you with topographic maps that you can use to plan your hike. You'll know right away where the elevation changes and other challenges might await you, and can plan your route accordingly. Using Gaia GPS, you can set waypoints to direct your route, and the app will automatically plan the best directions for you to take. It knows where streets and hiking trails are throughout most of the United States and Canada, and uses them to craft a route for you to take. Of course, you can always change that and redirect your path to take a more "as the crow flies" journey, if you choose.
Choose your map source in Gaia: GPS. Within Gaia: GPS, you can choose your favorite map source. The app includes access to all of the USGS topographic maps, as well as terrific navigation images for Canada. You can also access Gaia's own map server, which covers the entire world. The maps will help you know where the elevation changes and other challenges might lie in wait, so you can traverse the trails in confidence. If you want a bird's eye view of the terrain, a satellite overlay is also available.
Save maps to your device for offline use. The internet isn't always available in the great outdoors, but your maps can be. With Gaia: GPS, you're able to download a map of the area you'll be hiking or exploring, so your navigation aid is available even when the internet isn't. Since Gaia uses your iPhone's built-in GPS, it keeps track of where you are as you traverse the trails.
Record your hike with Gaia: GPS. Planning and viewing your hike isn't the end of what Gaia: GPS can do. Tap in the top left corner to record, and Gaia starts keeping track of your path. You can later view how well you "hiked the plan," and get ideas for new places to explore later. You can also use the recorded tracks to retrace your steps, if you want to find something you missed or just want to do more sight-seeing.
Access your camera right from within Gaia: GPS. No hike would be complete without photographs. After all, "pictures or it never happened." You don't even have to leave the app to snap a picture, since Gaia: GPS has conveniently placed a shortcut to your iPhone's camera within the menus. Snap a picture, and then go back to planning your next steps. You can keep a photographic trail of your travels through the back country, so you'll be able to revisit and relive the memories later.
What is it about?
Gaia GPS has been around for years, making wilderness exploration easier and safer than ever before. In the latest version, it's been infused with the best topographical maps available in the United States, Canada and other countries. Gaia GPS supports downloading maps for offline use, and allows you to save your tracks, way points, and maps to the cloud so you can access them from any of your iOS devices or computer. Search for trails, parks, natural features, and more from within one app.
For those who...
- Love adventuring in the back country
- Want to be able to record their journeys, including paths and way points
Not for those who...
- Don't like insects or anything else related to the so-called "great" outdoors
- Prefer to use handheld GPS devices over their iPhone
Why we love it
Gaia GPS has, and continues to, set the standard that other outdoors GPS apps have to live up to. It includes topo maps from the United States Geological Service, United States Forestry Service, and more. It even has its own vector-based topographic map of the entire world, and all of the maps are easy to download for use even when you have no internet connection. Allowing you to record and save tracks and way points, it's like having a standalone GPS device right in your iPhone.
Gaia GPS supports Siri commands
Gaia GPS is FREE but there are more add-ons
Gaia GPS Member
Gaia GPS Premium
App Store Description
Plan trips and stay safer in the woods, with Gaia GPS.
Join hundreds of thousands of backpackers, hunters, offroaders, mountain bikers, backcountry skiers, firefighters, guides, and other serious outdoor adventurers and professionals that use Gaia GPS for work and play. Hike, hunt, and offroad with the best topo maps and outdoor navigation tools.
►► Special Updates for the 2017 Hunting Season (for Premium Members)
Whether you're on the hunt for deer, waterfowl, or predators, Gaia GPS is the hunting app for you, with comprehensive hunting maps to make your hunt successful and legal.
This season, we've transformed Gaia GPS into the best hunting GPS, expanding the map catalog to cover the needs of hunters across the US. Gaia GPS now includes nationwide private land ownership, public land, game management units (GMUs), timber, and fires, giving you great hunt maps to overlay on the world's best topo and satellite maps. Scout out the best areas, navigate and track out in the field, and share your tracks with other hunters.
This hunting season's work is based on experience Gaia GPS users and staff have had out in the field. Give us a shout at [email protected] to tell us how to make Gaia GPS the best hunt app.
►► The Best App for Topo Maps
Gaia GPS has been showcased in Apple's "Your Verse" stories, and covered in countless major publications, from Outside and TrailRunner, to the New York Times and FOX News TappedIn.
The name Gaia (guy-yuh) comes from Greek mythology - she is the Goddess of the Earth, or Mother Nature.
• view easy-to-read, modern maps, with fast and beautiful rendering
• explore historic and classic print maps (USGS, USFS, NRCan, IGN)
• download worldwide topo, road, and satellite maps
• search for hiking trails, parks, natural places, and addresses, and tap features on Gaia Topo to get more info
►► Sync and Back-up
• sync your tracks, photos, maps, and waypoints to all of your devices
• keep your data backed up, effortlessly
• share trip plans, and collaborate on shared folders
►► Map Tools
• record tracks, waypoints, and take geo-tagged photos
• import and export GPX and KML files
• customize coordinates types (Decimal, Degrees/Minutes/Seconds, Degrees - Decimal Minutes, UTM, and MGRS)
►► Membership Levels
Free Level - You can use Gaia GPS for free. You'll be limited to the default map source, and you won't be able to download maps for offline use. You can also trial Member features.
Member Level - As a Member, you can download a worldwide catalog of topo, road, and satellite maps.
Premium Member Level - As a Premium Member, you also get access to these map sources:
• NatGeo Trails Illustrated
• ESRI World Satellite Imagery
• Private Land Ownership (owners and addresses for parcels)
• Hunting Layers, including GMUs, public land, and fires
• NeoTreks US Topo
• France IGN
• Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM)
• Hill-shading, contour lines, slope angle, and other overlays
► To manage your subscription:
• TURN OFF auto-renewal via the main Settings app: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098
• Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Your iTunes account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal.
• Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
►► GPS WARNING - Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.