Gaia GPS has been wholly reinvented in this latest version, bringing all of the features that have made the app so successful in the past few years. It offers downloadable topographic, satellite, and road maps, perfect for those trips off the beaten path. The interface has been carefully thought out to make navigating the back country easier than ever. You can even record tracks, way points, and other crucial data for finding your way through the woods.
Watch the trailer
Check the details on WatchAware
Plan a hike with Gaia: GPS. Gaia GPS provides you with topographic maps that you can use to plan your hike. You'll know right away where the elevation changes and other challenges might await you, and can plan your route accordingly. Using Gaia GPS, you can set waypoints to direct your route, and the app will automatically plan the best directions for you to take. It knows where streets and hiking trails are throughout most of the United States and Canada, and uses them to craft a route for you to take. Of course, you can always change that and redirect your path to take a more "as the crow flies" journey, if you choose.
Choose your map source in Gaia: GPS. Within Gaia: GPS, you can choose your favorite map source. The app includes access to all of the USGS topographic maps, as well as terrific navigation images for Canada. You can also access Gaia's own map server, which covers the entire world. The maps will help you know where the elevation changes and other challenges might lie in wait, so you can traverse the trails in confidence. If you want a bird's eye view of the terrain, a satellite overlay is also available.
Save maps to your device for offline use. The internet isn't always available in the great outdoors, but your maps can be. With Gaia: GPS, you're able to download a map of the area you'll be hiking or exploring, so your navigation aid is available even when the internet isn't. Since Gaia uses your iPhone's built-in GPS, it keeps track of where you are as you traverse the trails.
Record your hike with Gaia: GPS. Planning and viewing your hike isn't the end of what Gaia: GPS can do. Tap in the top left corner to record, and Gaia starts keeping track of your path. You can later view how well you "hiked the plan," and get ideas for new places to explore later. You can also use the recorded tracks to retrace your steps, if you want to find something you missed or just want to do more sight-seeing.
Access your camera right from within Gaia: GPS. No hike would be complete without photographs. After all, "pictures or it never happened." You don't even have to leave the app to snap a picture, since Gaia: GPS has conveniently placed a shortcut to your iPhone's camera within the menus. Snap a picture, and then go back to planning your next steps. You can keep a photographic trail of your travels through the back country, so you'll be able to revisit and relive the memories later.
What is it about?
Gaia GPS has been around for years, making wilderness exploration easier and safer than ever before. In the latest version, it's been infused with the best topographical maps available in the United States, Canada and other countries. Gaia GPS supports downloading maps for offline use, and allows you to save your tracks, way points, and maps to the cloud so you can access them from any of your iOS devices or computer. Search for trails, parks, natural features, and more from within one app.
For those who...
- Love adventuring in the back country
- Want to be able to record their journeys, including paths and way points
Not for those who...
- Don't like insects or anything else related to the so-called "great" outdoors
- Prefer to use handheld GPS devices over their iPhone
Why we love it
Gaia GPS has, and continues to, set the standard that other outdoors GPS apps have to live up to. It includes topo maps from the United States Geological Service, United States Forestry Service, and more. It even has its own vector-based topographic map of the entire world, and all of the maps are easy to download for use even when you have no internet connection. Allowing you to record and save tracks and way points, it's like having a standalone GPS device right in your iPhone.
Gaia GPS supports Siri commands
Gaia GPS is FREE but there are more add-ons
Gaia GPS Member
Gaia GPS Premium
App Store Description
GAIA GPS PREMIER - MAY 2017 - The all new Gaia GPS sets the standard for outdoor apps, with the best topo maps, and a thoughtful user interface to make navigating the backcountry simple.
LIMITED PREMIER PRICING - Become a Member today for just $9.99/year, or become a Premium Member to access NatGeo Trails Illustrated, hunting layers, and other specialized maps, for $29.99/year.
2 YEARS FREE FOR EXISTING USERS - People who bought the old Gaia GPS get 2 years free with the new app and can still use the old app.
►► About Gaia GPS
Plan trips and explore the wild with Gaia GPS, on your phone, tablet, and computer.
Widely considered the best outdoor mapping app, Gaia GPS has been showcased in Apple's "Your Verse" stories, and covered in countless major publications, from Outside and TrailRunner, to the New York Times and FOX News TappedIn.
Top adventure guides use Gaia GPS all over the world.
Since 2009, we've been constantly updating Gaia GPS to help people explore remote places, and stay safer in the woods. Today, many great people contribute to the support and development of Gaia GPS. You can always get in touch with the whole team at [email protected]
Gaia (guy-yuh) comes from Greek mythology - she is the Goddess of the Earth, or Mother Nature.
• download worldwide topo, road, and satellite maps
• includes the best government topo maps for the US, Canada, and other countries (USGS, USFS, NRCan)
• use Gaia Topo, our unique worldwide, vector topo map
►► Sync and Back-up
• use Gaia GPS on your phones, tablets, and computers
• sync your tracks, photos, maps, and waypoints to all of your devices
• keep your data backed up, effortlessly
• share your tracks, folders, and photos via email, Facebook, Twitter, SMS, and more
►► Map Tools
• record tracks, waypoints, and take geo-tagged photos
• search for trails, parks, natural places, and addresses, and tap features on Gaia Topo to get more info
• display all of your tracks, routes, areas, and waypoints on the map
• import and export GPX/KML files, by iTunes, Safari, DropBox, and email
• customize all aspects of Gaia, including units, color and sound, and coordinates types (Decimal, Degrees/Minutes/Seconds, Degrees - Decimal Minutes, UTM, and MGRS)
►► Try Gaia GPS for Free
Download Gaia GPS to start your free 7-day trial membership.
► Member Level
As a Gaia GPS Member, you get access to the gold standard for outdoor mapping apps, and an extensive map catalog that spans worldwide topo, road, and satellite maps.
► Premium Member Level
As a Premium Member, you also get access to these map sources:
• NatGeo Trails Illustrated
• France IGN
• NeoTreks US Topo
• US Hunting (GMUs, public land, others)
• Overlays you can apply to any map, such as hill-shading, contour lines, slope angle, and more
► To manage your subscription:
• TURN OFF auto-renewal via the main Settings app: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098
• Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Your iTunes account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal.
• Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
►► IMPORTANT - IPOD TOUCH AND WIFI ONLY IPADS - This application will not be fully functional on these devices, unless you have an external GPS attachment. The GPS Recorder and compass will be inactive. You will be able to view maps and waypoints, but you cannot record tracks.
►► GPS WARNING - Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.