What is it about?
App Store Description
● 165,000 corpus-based examples of natural English show words in context and how English is really used.
● 230,000 words, phrases, and meanings – more than any other learner's dictionary.
Easy to use – easy to understand
● Definitions written using a vocabulary of just 2,000 words – the Longman Defining Vocabulary, ensuring all definitions are clear and easy to understand.
Expand your vocabulary
● Frequency information on the most common words – the new Longman Communication 9000 – helps you learn them first.
● Words from the Academic Word List highlighted to help you improve your essays and presentations.
Write and speak fluently
● An integrated Collocations Dictionary with more than 65,000 collocations: learn word combinations to use the correct words together, such as ‘take a test’ (not ‘make a test’), ‘heavy rain’ (not ‘strong rain’), and ‘highly successful’.
● The integrated Thesaurus with more than 18,000 synonyms, antonyms, and related words helps you improve your writing by using more precise and high level words: stop saying ‘nice’, instead, say ‘lovely, delightful, enjoyable, wonderful, brilliant’.
● Register Notes on the differences between spoken and written English help you express yourself precisely.
Improve your grammar
● Avoid making common mistakes and get extra help with grammar patterns and using the correct tenses.
Improve your pronunciation
● All headwords pronounced in both British and American English
● All example sentences pronounced in either British or American English (via external links)