Watch the trailer
A unique spin on learning languages. Memrise turns language learning into a game. Your goal is to train to take on a tyrant species bent on forcing uniformity on the world. You prepare for battle by learning new languages.
Your first lesson. In your first lesson, you'll learn some basic greetings and phrases. They're played and displayed, so you learn to recognize them and hear them.
Goals and memorization. You have daily goals, both for learning and mastering new words. You'll be asked to recognize them spoken and in writing, as well as spell them.
A battle plan for language learning. The first class is your battle plan, and you can continue beyond that once you've finished the lesson plan for the introduction to your new language.
What is it about?
With the Memrise: Learn Languages app, you can choose from a wide range of languages including French, Spanish, German, Chinese, and Italian. In the introduction, you learn about a tyrant force that wants to overthrow the Alliance and enforce uniformity throughout the galaxy.
For those who...
- Want to learn a new language
- Like their education to be game-like
Not for those who...
- Don't care about learning new languages
- Would rather just use rote memorization instead of a fun way to learn
Why we love it
Memrise has a great selection of languages to choose from. In total, here are 77 languages you can choose from, ranging from Afrikaans to Zulu (and plenty in between). I decided to take on Japanese and Polish. You begin with simple phrases like hello, yes, no, please, and thank you. From there, you'll move on to other essential phrases. The topics include general greetings and responses, emotions, food, places and things, and handy phrases. While the Memrise app is free, it does have its limitations. You can only complete so many topics before the recruits get tired and go to sleep. Then you have to wait a few hours to continue your language-learning journey. If you want a more personalized learning experience, you can purchase Memrise Pro to get native speakers helping you learn, the ability to target difficult words so you'll always remember them, and a speed review game mode to hone your reflexes. The only real problem with this app is that it asks you to spell words without focusing at all on the alphabet. Understanding why a word is spelled the way it is can make a huge difference in learning that spelling, especially for languages that use diacritics (accent marks and so forth) in their alphabet.
Memrise is FREE but there are more add-ons
Memrise Pro Offer
App Store Description
Have fun while learning a language with Memrise! The more you enjoy learning, the more (and quicker) you will learn. This is why entertainment mixed with real-life, relevant content is at the very core of the Memrise language learning experience.
Learn French, Spanish, Japanese, Italian, German, Korean, Arabic, Russian, Chinese, Portuguese, Danish, Swedish, Polish, Norwegian, Turkish, Dutch, Icelandic, Mongolian, or even learn English.
Best of 2016
iPad App of the Year - Finland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark
Do you want to connect with the world? Get ready for your next trip or adventure abroad? Improve your grammar? Then join our community of over 30 million language learners and develop real-life language skills through a rich variety of easy-to-use games, innovative chatbots and over 30,000 native speaker videos. Learning a new language has never been so simple!
- NEW! Chatbots help you hone your conversational flow.
- OBJECT RECOGNITION: Explore the world around you and learn new vocab on the go. Scan your surroundings and snap a pic. Save images and the snapped object’s name in your chosen language.
- Learn with Locals: Real people helping you learn real, everyday language in context.
- A variety of exciting interactive games to learn and practice: Speed Review, Listening Skills, Difficult Words, Classic Review, Grammarbot…
- Pronunciation guide: Speak like a local by recording and comparing your pronunciation with locals.
- Offline mode: Put your language skills to the test whenever and wherever is convenient for you.
- Daily goals: Learn as many or as few words a day as you like, Memrise is tailored to you.
Why learn a new language with Memrise? For our international team, nothing is more special than the ability to connect with new countries and cultures through language, and we want to share this with you! This is why we only teach useful, everyday words and phrases that enable you to have real conversations with real people.
How? Our talented linguists and language experts work side-by-side with our world-class team of developers to create the very best language courses and games that are simple, enjoyable and accessible to everyone.
- Start with current, everyday vocabulary and learn through reading and listening games
- Record and compare your pronunciation with that of locals
- Use our grammarbot to learn how to form useful sentences
- Put your skills into practice with chatbots
Download the Memrise Pro language learning app and start your language journey now.
One-month subscription for $8.99
Three-month subscription for $18.99
Twelve-month subscription for $59.99
Lifetime subscription for $179.99
You will need a Memrise subscription in order to access all courses and features. Courses available may vary depending on the language of your device.
• Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
• Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal
• Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase
Your learning journey with Memrise continues in:
AppAdvice does not own this application and only provides images and links contained in the iTunes Search API, to help our users find the best apps to download. If you are the developer of this app and would like your information removed, please send a request to [email protected] and your information will be removed.