Watch the trailer
A classic Sega title. The predecessor to a famous hedgehog is now available on your iOS device.
Take on the baddest of the baddies. No side-scroller would be complete without boss battles, and Ristar's got 'em. Take on the baddest of the baddies, eventually fighting Greedy himself.
What is it about?
In Ristar, you'll explore six planet levels as a shining, shooting star. Of course, it isn't quite that simple. Your character has stretchable arms, to grab onto surroundings and enemies in order to topple Greedy, an evil tyrant who has taken captive the galaxy of Valdi.
For those who...
- love classic Sega games
- want a challenging side-scroller with retro graphics
Not for those who...
- don't care about Sega classics
- prefer detailed, smooth graphics
Why we love it
Ristar provides you with leaderboards, cloud saves, controller support, and more. The official emulation of the side-scrolling classic is terrific, but what I really loved about Ristar then and now is the unique amount of replay value and choices you can make. Sure, it's a linear side-scroller, but you can choose different paths through many of the obstacles. If you aren't a fan of jumping from small platform to small platform, many of those obstacles also offer handholds above. Ristar can leap from stone to stone, or he can swing across the chasm using vines and branches. You can even switch back and forth, trying different tactics and routes. It's a simple game, but one with plenty of options.
Ristar has stickers
App Store Description
Travel the galaxy in SEGA’s classic platformer Ristar, now available on mobile. Play free and rediscover this SEGA gem!
Galactic tyrant Kaiser Greedy has enslaved the Valdi star system. Leaders of every planet have been brainwashed, and only you, Ristar, can free them. Use Ristar’s extendable limbs to swing, climb, grapple and grab your way across six planets and end Greedy’s grip on the galaxy!
Ristar joins the SEGA Forever classic games collection, a treasure trove of free SEGA console classics brought to life on mobile for the first time!
- Six planets to rescue, spanning every corner of the galaxy.
- Use Ristar’s extendable arms to smash, grab, and grapple Greedy’s minions
- Battle unique bosses across all six planets
- Grab enemies to destroy them or use them to pivot through a level
- Perform ‘shooting star’ attacks to kill multiple enemies at once!
SEGA FOREVER FEATURES
- PLAY FREE
- SAVE YOUR GAME PROGRESS
- OFFLINE PLAY
- GAMES RELEASED EVERY MONTH
- DOWNLOAD THEM ALL
"It's all really fast-paced, split up perfectly into bite-sized chunks, and above everything else it's just really good fun." [90%] - SEGA Magazine #22 (October 1995)
"A twinkling star in the vacuous space of platform / beat 'em ups." [81%] - Dean Mortlock, SEGA Power #72 (November 1995)
- Ristar was originally intended to be a rabbit with extendible ears
- The working titles for the game included ‘Dexstar’ and ‘Feel’
- The soundtrack was provided by Tomoko Sasaki, the composer of NiGHTS into Dreams...
- The game was originally released in 1995
- Developed by: SEGA
- Designer: Takumi Miyake
- Lead Artist: Yuji Uekawa
- - - - -
Game apps are ad-supported and no in-app purchases are required to progress; ad-free play option available with in-app purchase.
© SEGA. All rights reserved. SEGA, the SEGA logo, Ristar are registered trademarks or trademarks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates.