Browse through subscriptions. The app offers over 150 books to choose from and you can subscribe to more than one at a time. Browse through popular selections, search for a particular book, or take a look through the categories. With classics from Charles Dickens, H.P. Lovecraft, William Shakespeare, and more, you will never be at a loss for literature from the greats.
Subscribe and receive issues. Once you subscribe, you can read your first issue immediately. The app will then show you how many hours and minutes until your next one arrives, which will be the next day. You can adjust the time to receive notifications of your new issues easily within the settings.
Reading features. While you are reading your issue, you can tap to pop open the features for copying to your clipboard or getting a word definition. If you have Serial Premium ($2.99) you can also highlight and add notes. In addition, you can adjust the font from a variety of options and also choose your contrast background for easier reading.
What is it about?
Summer, for many, is a time of relaxing and catching up on your reading. Apple's App Store has a whole collection of apps to help you with your summer reading plan, and Serial Reader is one of them.
For those who...
- Enjoy reading
- Like classic literature
Not for those who...
- Do no enjoy reading
- Prefer modern literature
Why we love it
From “Pride and Prejudice” to “War and Peace,” it can often be difficult to find the time to sit down and read a classic novel. But, what if you could read just a small chunk each day during your lunch break or while on the train? Serial Reader – Classic Books in Daily Bits sends you an issue each day that you can read in less than 20 minutes. The books are broken down into categories, like Adventure books and Fantasy titles. You'll find your usual genres, but Serial Reader refines them even more. There are categories dedicated to American literature, for example, as well as a category comprised of books by the Bronte sisters. You're free to subscribe to more than one book at a time, and you receive daily issues of each one. If you decide you just can't wait until tomorrow to read ahead, a small in-app purchase supports the app as well as your desire not to have to put that wonderful book down.
Serial Reader supports Siri commands
Serial Reader is FREE but there are more add-ons
App Store Description
Read classic books in daily bite-sized bits!
Serial Reader helps you fit classic literature into your busy life. Choose from more than 800 classic books and receive a new issue from the book every day.
Each issue can be read in 20 minutes or less. Read the best classic books in your spare time!
"For those who are intimidated by thick, leather-bound tomes, Serial Reader is a good way to break it all down." - The Washington Post
• Read hundreds of popular classic books for free
• Customize with a variety of themes and fonts
• Automatically serialize your own EPUB books (beta)
• Sync your reading progress to Goodreads
• Easily lookup words in the dictionary & Wikipedia
• Earn fun badges and track your reading streaks
Plus, with an optional one-time in-app purchase:
• Read tomorrow's issue - or the entire book - whenever you want
• Sync your reading across multiple devices
• Save quotes & notes while reading
• Save books to read later
• Pause delivery of new issues
• Pick specific delivery days and hours for new issues
• Lots of other goodies!
"Serial Reader’s subscription format makes it a little bit more fun to crank through the classics" - Lifehacker
"A useful tool that makes it easy in our modern world to make classic books part of your reading diet" - MacStories
Picked as one of Apple's Best New Apps and Best New Updates in 2016, 2018, and 2019.
More than 800 books are currently available and new titles are added each week. You can read each and every book for free in daily issues with Serial Reader!
Here's a sampling of some of the most popular books you can read:
— Most Popular —
• Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
• A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
• Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky
• War & Peace - Leo Tolstoy
• Les Misérables - Victor Hugo
• The Time Machine - H.G. Wells
• The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
— American Lit —
• Moby-Dick - Herman Melville
• Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
• My Antonia - Willa Cather
• Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
• This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald
— Adventure —
• The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
• Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson
• Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe
• The Odyssey - Homer
• King Solomon's Mines - H. Rider Haggard
— Romance —
• Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
• Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
• Romeo and Juliet - William Shakespeare
— Science Fiction —
• The War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells
• 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Jules Verne
• A Princess of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs
— Horror —
• Dracula - Bram Stoker
• The Dunwich Horror - H.P. Lovecraft
• Frankenstein - Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
• The Fall of the House of Usher - Edgar Allan Poe
• The King in Yellow - Robert W. Chambers
• The Wendigo - Algernon Blackwood
— Mystery —
• The Hound of the Baskervilles - Arthur Conan Doyle
• The Mysterious Affair at Styles - Agatha Christie
• The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
— Biography —
• The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
• Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
• Twelve Years a Slave - Solomon Northup
— Children's —
• Peter Pan - J. M. Barrie
• Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
• The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
• Anne of Green Gables - Lucy Maud Montgomery
— Fantasy —
• The Well at the World's End - William Morris
• Time and the Gods - Lord Dunsany
• The Wood Beyond the World - William Morris
— Philosophy —
• The Republic - Plato
• Leviathan - Thomas Hobbes
• Rights of Man - Thomas Paine
— Nonfiction —
• Vindication of the Rights of Woman - Mary Wollstonecraft
• On the Origin of Species - Charles Darwin
• The Federalist Papers
• The Communist Manifesto - Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
— Westerns —
• Riders of the Purple Sage - Zane Grey
• The Virginian - Owen Wister
• Gunman's Reckoning - Max Brand
— Religion —
• King James Bible
• The Dhammapada
• The Quran
Read all of these classic books and hundreds more for free in Serial Reader!
AppAdvice does not own this application and only provides images and links contained in the iTunes Search API, to help our users find the best apps to download. If you are the developer of this app and would like your information removed, please send a request to [email protected] and your information will be removed.