March 24, 2011
Your favorite websites might look different beginning this week on the iPad, thanks to a Wordpress.com initiative that brings key components to each of its hosted websites. This news was announced in a post on the Just Another WordPress Weblog. The 18 million blogs hosted by Wordpress.com are now available with iPad-optimized functionality. This means each of these now supports touch interactions, swiping, rotation, and other features of the iPad. However, these advancements are only utilized if the website owner makes the necessary changes. Wordpress.com site owners can:
Self-hosted WordPress.org sites can also begin using these tools by downloading a free plugin available from Onswipe. As a long time WordPress user, I was intrigued by this news and implemented the new tools onto my Penn State football fansite, Nittany Lion Magazine. Take a look at how the site looks on an iPad versus its look on a computer:
- Have the theme use an image from your recent posts as a cover.
- Upload a logo to showcase your brand or personality on the cover.
- Upload an image to be used as a loading graphic when visitors add your site to their home screen.
- Switch fonts.
- Choose from 9 different skin colors, to best match the feel of your site.
- Enable or disable the whole thing.
What do you think? If you find sites using the new tools, please let us know by using the comments below.