We talked about Loopt‘s update first thing this morning and yet, surprisingly, its update still hasn’t actually hit the App Store yet allowing Gowalla and Foursquare to beat them to the punch.
Gowalla v2.0 first and foremost features a new design that is said to be more readable and usable than ever. You are also now allowed to upload photos after checking in and browse photos from friends, and checkins can now be commented on. Speaking of checkins, you are now able to come back and add checkin messages for instances where you have skipped typing a checkin message because you just didn’t have enough time.
Other Gowalla 2.0 features include:
- Hot Spots: Discover the most popular spots nearby
- Browse your friends… and friends of friends.
- Browse friends’ bookmarked spots and created trips.
- More ways to get in touch with Facebook, Twitter and web links for friends.
- Spot details (when available): address, phone number, Twitter name, Facebook page, website
Gowalla‘s competition, Foursquare, also received a bit of a facelift today in v1.7, featuring quite a bit more color and a lot less black. But unlike Gowalla, the rest of Foursquare‘s additions are fairly minimal, only including faster and more efficient checkin and shout flow, and the app’s “Places” view now supports categories.
All of these updates must have you location-based service junkies jumping for joy. Just out of curiosity, which LBS have you decided to stick with on your iPhone?
[Thanks to mmcnulty7 for the tip!]