You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
| May 26, 2011
Convert Your Unused iPhone Into A Pay As You Go Phone (No Jailbreaking Or Unlocking Required)
Do you have a perfectly good iOS device sitting around the house collecting dust? What are you doing with it? Besides setting it up as a spare MP3 player, here are some other uses you might consider if it could be reactivated as a real phone again:
- You have friends or family who are interested in trying out an iPhone, but they are not sure it's the right phone for them.
- You'd like to have a backup iPhone for your car. Google Maps, navigation apps, Pandora or Slacker for that cross country drive (and of course a phone).
- You have an overseas friend or family member visiting, and you don't want to see them charged crazy international roaming fees.
- You're taking the family to Disneyland, and all want to use a "wait-time" app such as MouseWait.
- You want to use buddy location tracking apps such as Marco Friend Locator to track your friend's whereabouts.
- You're going on a camping trip and you want to leverage GPS, topo-mapping software and reach civilization in case of an emergency, but you don't want civilization to be able to reach you.
APN: wap.cingular Username: [email protected] Password: CINGULAR1Choose create custom profile. You'll be taken from the Safari web browser to a profile screen, and asked to accept. Choose accept. 8 ) Turn off your Wi-Fi and test the 3G signal by googling for Red Swingline Staplers. Hopefully internet connectivity will work. Despite the name of the site above, you're not really "unlocking" your phone, you're simply telling the phone to use the Cingular APN. If you opted for a data plan, I also suggest you install a data bandwidth usage monitoring tool such as Data Usage to keep on top of the data charges. If you don't choose a data plan, you will still be able to talk on the phone as well as use it for text messaging. Troubleshooting Invalid SIM card When I inserted my SIM card, I received the dreaded "invalid SIM card" message after activation. I did a factory reset on my iPhone and reinstalled the latest version of iOS. Once I did this, it recognized the SIM card without issue. Visual voicemail Visual voicemail will not work with this option. When you press voicemail on your iPhone, it will dial the voicemail service where you can update your greeting, listen to messages, delete or archive them.