Technically you only need your iPhone to create ringtones, and iTunes desktop to sync them with your iPhone. It’s unfortunate, and we haven’t truly cut the cord yet, but I’ll try to make it as painless as possible by emailing the ringtone to yourself.
1. Download Ringtone Studio Professional for $0.99 from the iTunes App Store.
2. Tap the choose song option and scroll through your library to pick a song you want to use.
Choose the start and finish points of the ringtone and press save. The program will generate the ringtone.
3. Email the ringtone to yourself. On your computer, save the .m4r file locally to your desktop.
4. Drag the .m4r file to your iTunes desktop library section and let it import.
5. Connect your iPhone to your computer via the USB connection and check the Sync Ringtones box. Make sure the All Ringtones radio button is selected, then sync.
6. On your iPhone, go to the settings app, choose Sounds -> Ringtone. Near the top of the selections under Custom, select the ringtone you just synced.
The ringtone you just selected will become the default ringtone for all your calls. You can also get more advanced by going into each of your contacts, and selecting a specific ringtone for each of your friends or family members. Hopefully this tip will work in the future without having to sync with iTunes desktop.
What ringtones do you use on your phone, and do you use one default ringtone for everything, or specific ones for each of your contacts?