We’ve been bombarded with requests from readers asking if there was a simple way for them to upgrade to iOS 5 beta. Although this release is officially only for developers, there is such a way, assuming you are willing to put in the time. This comes courtesy Gizmodo, which provided step-by-step instructions for non-developers.
We cannot stress this enough: iOS 5 beta is not a finished product. In fact, it isn’t even a late beta release. Therefore, upgrade at your own risk.
Here are the steps:
1. Download the iOS 5 IPSW file from the web (it’s easy and readily available. Just Google it and torrent it down).
2. Update your iPhone using iTunes. To do this, connect your iPhone to your computer, click on the Check for Update button with the Option (Mac) or Shift (PC) key pressed. Select the iOS 5 IPSW file from the place you downloaded it to.
3. Wait until it upgrades. A new activation screen will appear.
Activate iOS 5
1. Triple click the home button. This will activate the Voice Over.
2. Triple click the home button and Emergency Call will appear.
3. Click on Emergency Call and, while it’s switching, swipe with your three fingers down.
4. The Notification Center will appear!
5. Click on the Weather widget. The Weather app will load.
6. Click on the home button to exit to the iPhone’s springboard.