For those looking for a Flickr alternative, consider 500px, a free service that recently introduced an official iPad app to the App Store. Based in Toronto, Canada, 500px is a perfect play to showcase your photos, create slideshows, and browse your friends’ photos and favorites. Best of all, the service is absolutely free – within reason anyway.
To get started, we recommend signing up for an account at http://500px.com. Doing so permits you to upload 20 photos per week or 10 photos at a time for free. After uploading is done, you’re able to add title, description, and tags to each photo. To upload unlimited photos plus enjoy other perks, you can sign up for 500px’s premium plan, which runs $50/year.
Regardless, you don’t actually need a 500px account to enjoy viewing photos using the app. Best of all, photos can be viewed as a slideshow, which is also very nice.
Unfortunately, the photos offered within the app cannot be saved to your Camera roll, due to copyright rules. As such, 500px isn’t a wallpaper app.
- Browse Popular, Editors Choice, Upcoming and Fresh photo streams. Photos change in real-time, so come back often for a fresh dose of inspiration
- View beautiful, full size photos without distractions
- Login with your 500px account to see your photos, friends’ photos and your favorites
- Create a slideshow with music from your iTunes library for every photo stream
- Vote for photos, add to favorites, read and leave comments
- Share photos on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or via email
- View photo descriptions, EXIF information and location
- Browse portfolios of your favorite photographers
- Browse photos based on specific categories
- Sign up for an account inside the app
As a Version 1.0 release, the 500px app is fantastic and is definitely something worth your time to consider. In fact, we’re even tempted to spend the $50 and use the service’s premium features. The 500px app is available now in the App Store.
Note – Once your log into your account via the app, nude photos may show up. To remove these, go Settings > Filter nude photographs.