You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
| November 17, 2011
Unconfirmed: Potential Hack To Unlock Any iPhone Hits The Web
The web is getting all excited tonight over a potential hack that is reportedly allowing users with carrier-locked GSM iPhone 4S 4 and 3GS to unlock their device to use on any network like T-Mobile. It's particularly simple, and requires no software or hardware modifications. However, the whole thing looks very much like a hoax, as we haven't been able to confirm it despite our many attempts. Yet, since many people are claiming it works on the web, we wanted to at least give you the heads up and let you try it out. Alright, so according to the original Pastebin where the hack was published, all you need to do is:
Here are two videos that are reportedly proving that this is real, but of course don't really prove anything:
- Insert original carrier AT&T SIM card
- Dial 611 for AT&T customer service hotline and drop the call
- Turn on Airplane Mode
- Take out AT&T SIM card
- Insert T-Mobile SIM card
- Make sure WiFi is off ( also tap on ‘Forget this Network” to make sure it doesn’t connect automatically later)
- Switch off Airplane Mode and iPhone will search for network. This is followed by the Apple splash screen appearing.
- Activation Required will be displayed on the screen
- EDGE network will activate automatically – notice the ‘E’ on the top left corner of the screen
- Wait for about 20-30 seconds and turn off the phone
- Turn on iPhone and the same Activation Required screen will be displayed
- When you see one signal bar, tap on Use Cellular Connection
- Eject SIM card
- Activation Required screen will be displayed the second time
- Insert SIM card
All in all, we're very much in the dark as to what this really is. From a technical standpoint, we don't see how this could work. However, there have been many occasion in the past where similar hacks have allowed users to bypass Apple's protections, for example to activate the phone. Therefore, this is not completely out of the realm of possibilities. Yet, it's very unlikely. If you have what it takes to try it out, please do and let us know how it goes. As usual, we'll keep you posted if we find out any more details.