You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Bryan M. Wolfe
| September 24, 2012
Apple TV Now Includes Shared Photo Streams, New AirPlay Features And More
Apple has released a new update for the second- and third-generation Apple TV. Version 5.1 includes a number of iOS 6-like features, including Shared Photo Streams, and more. Other features include:
To update the Apple TV, go Settings > General > Update Software. This is the first software update to Apple TV since June. In July, Hulu Plus launched on the $99 device for the first time.
- AirPlay - Send audio content from Apple TV to AirPlay-enabled speakers and devices (including AirPort Express and other Apple TVs). Also includes the ability to require an onscreen code to use AirPlay with your Apple TV.
- iTunes account switching - Save multiple iTunes accounts and switch quickly between them.
- Trailers - Search movie trailers. In the United States, see show times for local theaters.
- Screen savers - New Cascade, Shrinking Tiles, and Sliding Panels screen savers.
- Main menu - Reorder icons on the second page by holding down the select button on the remote.
- Subtitles - SDH support for the deaf and hard-of-hearing as well as improvements to viewing and selecting subtitles.
- Network configuration - Support for setting up advanced network options using configuration profiles. See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5437 for more information.
- Stability and performance - Includes general performance and stability improvements.