Micro blogging site Tumblr rolled out a significant update for its app today, offering a complete redesign of the once Web reliant iPhone title. The new app has been written from the ground up, and as the app description now boasts, it is “completely native.”
The new design is quite compelling, with an intuitive dashboard view and an unobtrusive notifications panel. Tumblr for iPhone now uses simple swipe gestures for navigation, and posting thoughts, photos, and videos is easier than ever.
You can expect to see much faster load times and larger photos with the new dashboard, along with automatic GIFs.
Here’s a full rundown of what was updated:
- Completely redesigned Dashboard — bigger photos and faster post loading.
- Spiffy new notification previews — see exactly which posts were liked, reblogged, or replied to!
- New blog screens with blog portraits and descriptions.
- GIFs play automatically on your Dashboard! Slide your finger across to view frame by frame.
- New gestures — swipe right on any screen to go back to the previous view; long tap photos, links, tags, and post headers for more options.
If you already use the Tumblr app, you can update right on your phone. If you don’t use Tumblr, this is the perfect time to try it out. You can download the iPhone app for free from the App Store.