You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Bryan M. Wolfe
| January 8, 2013
STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS App To Drop Later This Month
Paramount Pictures and Qualcomm Incorporated are teaming up to develop the upcoming STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS app for iOS. The free app, which will naturally be used to promote the upcoming motion picture by the same name, will launch towards the end of January. Featuring “cutting edge technology” “in a never before-seen way,” the app was first announced during Qualcomm’s Chairman and CEO Dr. Paul E. Jacobs’ keynote address at the International CES show in Las Vegas. It features Gimbal™ context awareness technologies. The STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS app is expected to be heavily promoted during February’s Super Bowl. During the second quarter of the game, the app will allow users to unlock the first of many surprises during a “STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS” commercial. As a bonus, users who register for the app will be automatically entered into a sweepstakes for the chance to win a VIP trip to the U.S. premiere. To be the first to get the app and enter the sweepstakes, visit this link at the movie's official website. According to Jacobs:
We are excited about collaborating with Paramount on this app as it further brings to life Qualcomm’s vision of the digital sixth sense, where devices intelligently interact with the world around you. By leveraging the Gimbal platform, this app harnesses the power of the smartphone to bridge the digital and physical world, allowing the studio to market the film in the real world and simultaneously bring users into the film’s story and world.Features include:
Here is the official trailer for the upcoming movie: “STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS” opens in theaters everywhere on May 17. We'll let you know when the app arrives in the App Store.
- An audio scan function that can be turned on to automatically recognize and reward users for watching “STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS” content on TV and other media;
- An image scan function that enables users to interact with images printed or viewable in the real world;
- A geofencing function for location-based experiences;
- New “STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS” content, such as videos, images and wallpapers delivered directly to users’ mobile devices;
- Exclusive opportunities and special offers only available to app users;
- One lucky sweepstakes winner will be rewarded with the grand prize of attending the “STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS” U.S. premiere.