Sorcery! for iOS is developed by the gamebook series’ original writer, Steve Jackson, in collaboration with Inkle Studios. Inkle Studios is the company behind the critically acclaimed Frankenstein app. It’s no surprise then that Sorcery! looks awesomely good.
Of course, Sorcery! is not all style and no substance, as evidenced by the following gameplay features:
- Plot your own journey across a hand-drawn 3D world map
- Fully interactive story, with 1000s of choices
- The story is rewritten on the fly based on how you play
- Unique touch-based sword-dueling, with procedurally-generated descriptions of the action
- Outwit monsters by learning their weaknesses and tells
- 48 magic spells to master, with weird and wonderful effects that change the story
If you can’t see the video embedded above, please click here.
Sorcery! includes artwork by the series’ original illustrator, John Blanche, with new character art by DC Comics’ Eddie Sharam and an interactive map by Wizards of the Coast’s Mike Schley. The game also features music by David Wise of Donkey Kong Country fame.
The game contains the first installment of the four-part series, “The Shamutanti Hills.” The second installment, “Kharé: Cityport of Traps,” is set to be released this summer.