You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
| July 19, 2013
Download It Now: VLC Media Player Makes Its Triumphant Comeback On iOS
As we told you earlier today, the official iOS app of the popular VLC media player is making its comeback. Now, it is finally available to download in the App Store worldwide. As noted in the app's App Store description, VLC for iOS is free and open-source. And just like its well-known desktop counterpart, VLC for iOS can play movies and shows in most formats without the need for conversion. The original VLC iOS app was removed from the App Store in early 2011 as a result of a licensing dispute between the lead developers of VLC and the developers of the iOS app itself. Well, after two and a half years, VLC for iOS is back, and it's better than ever. [caption id="attachment_442564" align="aligncenter" width="270"] VLC for iOS[/caption] Here are some of the key features of the newly relaunched app, as outlined by MacRumors:
The new and improved VLC for iOS is available now in the App Store for free. The app is compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad running iOS 5.1 or later. [gallery link="file" order="DESC"]
- Wi-Fi Upload: Allows users to upload files directly to the iOS version of VLC through a web browser on the PC or Mac.
- Dropbox Integration: Play media directly from Dropbox or download it for offline playback.
- Download from Web: Download files from any web server for offline playback
- Network Streams: Play any network streams support by VLC media player for desktop operating systems
- 3rd-Party App Integration: Any app with a 'share' dialog can use VLC for iOS for media playback
- Video Filters: Video playback can be modified for brightness, contrast, hue, saturation or gamma in real time.