That was quick. Just hours after Apple began selling the iPad Air, we’ve seen our first teardown. Repair experts iFixit found a number of interesting things within Apple’s latest tablet.
The iPad Air includes a new two-cell design for the device’s 32.9 watt-hour battery, a change from the fourth-generation iPad’s three-cell, 43 watt-hour configuration. In addition, unlike the new iPhones, the iPad Air’s display is not laminated to the cover glass.
Not surprisingly, iFixit found many of device’s internals similar to those of the first-generation iPad mini. They note, it “seems like Apple took an iPad Mini and transmogrified it to a regular iPad’s size.”
Finally, it looks like the A7 on the iPad Air is slightly different from the model found on the iPhone 5s. They say, “Apple APL5698 A7 Processor—a slightly different version from the APL0698 in the iPhone 5s.”
The iPad Air’s logic board includes the following:
- Apple A7
- Elpida F8164A1MD LPDDR3 SDRAM
- Toshiba THGBX2G7B2JLA01 16 GB NAND Flash
- Apple M7
- Apple Dialog Power Management IC
- USI 339S0213 Wi-Fi Module
- Apple 338S1116 Cirrus Audio Codec
- Broadcom BCM5976C1KUB6G Touch Screen Controller
- Qualcomm M9616M Baseband Processor
- TriQuint TQF6514 RF Power Amplifier Module
- Three Skyworks SKY77-series LTE RF Power Amplifier/Duplexer Modules
- Two Avago A79-series LTE RF Power Amplifier/Duplexer Modules
- Murata Antenna Switch/Filter Module
- WTR1605L Transceiver Module
- Qualcomm PM8018 PMIC
For the complete teardown, click here.
Here’s the complete list of where the iPad Air is now available, as provided by Apple:
The US, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, China (Wi-Fi models only), Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macao (Wi-Fi models only), Macedonia, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK.
Have you purchased a new iPad?
See also: Samsung Slightly Edges Out Apple In Tablet Customer Satisfaction Study, Preorder ZooGue’s iPad Air Cases And Get 30 Percent Off Their Regular Prices, and ‘Plentiful’ Stocks Of iPad Air Begin Arriving In Apple Stores Ahead Of Nov. 1 Launch.