Released in September 2009, Boom Brigade was not only one of the earlier iOS titles, but a game uniquely combining three genres. Today, 10tons has announced they are nearing the final stages of the sequel, Boom Brigade 2.
Even though the game is scheduled to be available this year, the project has been in development for some time. In fact, 10tons’ Vice CEO, Sampo Töyssy, revealed that the sequel was influenced by the original iPad and its expanded capabilities compared to the iPhone.
The first prototype of the sequel was actually born in 2010 right after we got our hands on the iPad. So, one of the main inspirations for creating the sequel was the release of the iPad as the line drawing gameplay works so well on tablets. In Boom Brigade 2 we have proper support for tablets in addition to the familiar iPhone format.
Boom Brigade 2 will contain the core characteristics of the original, including the blend of line drawing, tower defense, and top-down shooter games. However, 10tons is working to take those elements to an even more exciting level of gameplay. Beyond the addition of iPad optimization, the sequel’s other big feature is a hand-crafted campaign to accompany the original survival mode.
Here is the full highlight list for Boom Brigade 2 provided by 10tons:
- 30 missions in the campaign, divided into 3 chapters with 10 missions each
- All the characters from Boom Brigade plus a new character: “The Sniper”
- Five unlockable upgrades for each character
- Most of the monsters from Boom Brigade and more variants and twists
- Survival levels with leaderboards
- Other interesting quick game modes with leaderboards
- Over a dozen achievements
No official release date has been announced, although, 10tons is hoping for a launch date sometime in June 2012. For now, you can enjoy the sneak peak screenshots and teaser trailer below.