The popular and historic magazine, The Atlantic, has launched a new, weekly digital publication for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Called The Atlantic Weekly, this more frequent magazine can be downloaded and housed within Newsstand, and aims to collect the best daily stories published at TheAtlantic.com, The Atlantic Wire, and The Atlantic Cities.
As The Atlantic explains in an article announcing the new publication:
On any given day, we now publish dozens of stories across our three Web sites, TheAtlantic.com, The Atlantic Wire, and The Atlantic Cities. No one who doesn’t work for The Atlantic can keep up with it all (many of us can’t, either), and we suspect that even our most constant readers miss some of our best pieces. The purpose of The Atlantic Weekly is to collect that work into a weekend guide to how the world is changing, and to where that change might take us.
In addition, in each issue of The Atlantic Weekly, the publishing team notes that it will also “include a story drawn from our 155-year-deep magazine archive, a piece of great writing that we believe can advance readers’ thinking today, as it did when we first published it.” The first issue of The Atlantic Weekly offers Henry Thoreau’s “Walking,” which first appeared in the magazine in 1862.
For now, The Atlantic Weekly is ad-free, though readers do have to pay in order to access the publication. The magazine will be published 48 times per year, and, as outlined in its release notes, the subscription cost for The Atlantic Weekly is:
- Annual subscription for $19.99, issues delivered weekly
- Monthly subscription for $2.99, issues delivered weekly
- Single copy issues for $1.99
- Payments will be charged to your iTunes account
- Account will be charged for $19.99 renewal (Annual) or $2.99 (Monthly) within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period
- Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user’s Account Settings after purchase
- No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period
- Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription
If you’re interested, add The Atlantic Weekly to your Newsstand now.
For more of today’s app news, see: Official Simply Audiobooks App Updated With Major User Interface Redesign, The First iOS 7-Inspired App Updates Are Now Appearing In The App Store, and Go Get It, Dads: MLB.com At Bat ’13 In Half Price Father’s Day Sale.