You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Bryan M. Wolfe
| April 10, 2014
More Proof That Apple's Next iPhone Is Going To Be Huge
The launch of the next iPhone is probably still months away. Nonetheless, interest in Apple’s next handset appears to be growing, according to AppleInsider. On Thursday, 451 Research published the results of a new survey that shows consumers really want an iPhone with a larger screen. Among those polled, 14 percent say they are “very likely” to buy the rumored device, with another 26 percent saying they are “somewhat likely” to purchase one. In total, 40 percent of those surveyed were either very likely or somewhat likely to buy the so-called “iPhone 6.” This compared to 26 percent who were likely to buy the iPhone 5s in March 2013, and 33 percent who expected to buy the iPhone 5 in March 2012. According to the report, “Potential smartphone buyers were asked how interested they would be in an "iPhone 6" with a larger display, "gesture control," a faster processor, and updated iOS mobile operating system starting at $199 for 16 gigabytes.” Most rumors suggest the next iPhone won’t arrive until September or October. When it does, it is likely to feature a 4.7-inch scratch-proof sapphire glass screen. A 5.5-inch model is also possible. In March, Brian Marshall of the ISI Group said "large-screen envy” is expected to make Apple’s next iPhone a huge hit with upgraders and Android switchers. In peak quarters, Marshall believes as many as 14 percent of existing iPhone owners opt to upgrade to a newer model. This compares to 9 percent in an average quarter. The analyst believes “pent-up demand” will push Apple’s upgrade numbers later this year to 14 percent or higher. See also: In China, Apple's iPhone 5s Is Old News As Excitement Builds For 'iPhone 6,' Three Images Leak Purportedly Showing Apple's 'iPhone 6,' The Latest iPhone 6 Concept Is Big, Beautiful, But Square? Photo: iPhone 6 renderings by MacRumors