You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
| March 16, 2013
Google Set To Launch Newsstand Competitor Google Play News?
These particular lines of text point to the prospect of a new Google service that could compete directly with Apple's Newsstand. Google Play News is expected to make digital newspapers available by issue or by subscription, which Newsstand has been doing since its launch in October 2011. Google had actually been rumored to launch a "digital newsstand" months before the arrival of Newsstand. I guess it's only now that the company is finally getting the service ready for release. And in case you're wondering what the color of the Google Play News section will be, Android Police notes from a Google Play CSS file (see image below) that the upcoming section will be #ffd700, or simply yellow. [caption id="attachment_393234" align="aligncenter" width="668"] Google Play color scheme[/caption]
- To read Google Play News, you must have a supported Android phone or tablet.
- Please sign in to get this News edition.
- Please sign in to purchase this News Issue.
- Please sign in to purchase this News Edition Subscription.
- Subscribing you to this news edition…
- You have subscribed to this news edition. It is now available on your device.