CloudApp is a service that I use every day to share screenshots between my iPhone, iPad, and Mac. It’s simple, quick, and hassle-free, and best of all the service has an updated Mac application that promises to make the process even better than before.
Linebreak’s Cloud can be downloaded free of charge in the Mac App Store. Once installed, it adds a small CloudApp icon to the Mac’s menu bar, and here users can access CloudApp-shared files – such as images or documents – and save items to their computer.
The app also allows users to easily share files using CloudApp – all you need to do is drag a file over to the menu icon, drop it, and leave Linebreak’s Cloud to take care of the work. Links to individual files can be generated for simple sharing, and users can also upload copied items to the service, too.
As of Cloud 2.0, however, the CloudApp Mac application is much improved. There are a total of 13 brand new features that have been added to the free app, and four critical fixes have also been applied.
Major changes include support for “Instant Drops,” which allows Mac users to share links even before uploads have finished, and an all-new redesign for the application. It’s now possible for users to check out thumbnail previews for their drops, drops can be renamed, and support for hotkeys, AppleScript, and OS X Notification Center has also been added.
Further improvements include OS X Mavericks support, and the menu bar icon has been reoptimized in order to improve the drop process. Here’s a complete list of features, as outlined in the application’s release notes:
- NEW: Instant Drops. Share a link before the upload is complete.
- NEW: Lightning fast screenshot shortcut.
- NEW: A brand new design.
- NEW: Thumbnail previews for your Drops.
- NEW: Scroll back through time and see all your drops.
- NEW: Copy direct links and download links and set a default preference.
- NEW: Quicklook: Select an image drop and hit space to see a large preview.
- NEW: Rename drops.
- NEW: Act on multiple drops at once: copy links, open, delete, etc.
- NEW: Hotkey to open pop-over: No need to ever let your hands leave the keyboard!
- NEW: AppleScript support.
- NEW: OS X Notification Center support.
- NEW: CloudApp Pro In-App Purchases.
- Fixed: OS X Mavericks support.
- Fixed: Menubar drop-zone responsiveness.
- Fixed: Menubar icon overlay in full-screen apps.
- Fixed: Login and session issues for some accounts.
Talk about a belated holiday gift from the folks at Linebreak!
Given that the competing service, Droplr, recently announced a transition to a paid-only model, there couldn’t be a better time for CloudApp – which offers a free (albeit slightly limited) service – to get an updated Mac application. The service works incredibly well, and in my option users aren’t necessarily going to get their money’s worth by upgrading to a similar $4.99/month Droplr Lite account.
Linebreak’s Cloud is available free of charge in the Mac App Store, and it can be used with a free CloudApp account.
See also: PC Shipments Continue To Drop Thanks To Tablets, Kennedy Life-Logging App Now Supports Automatic Data Backup Via Dropbox, and Plug Your iOS Devices To The Cloud With Pogoplug, Now Optimized For iOS 7.