Air Video HD is a slick app that lets users install a media server on their PC or Mac computer (Linux coming soon) and then link it with the iOS app to be able to stream all of your media to the iOS device. It's great for those who have amassed large collections of various media and want to take it with them on-the-go. The app has a sleek interface that is easy to navigate and use, and you also have the option of downloading files to local iOS storage if you won't have a stable internet connection, given that you have the necessary space for the files, of course. Either way, Air Video HD is a sick media player that can stream entire libraries with ease, and is a must for any movie buff who prefers to watch their own movies whenever they want.
Your entire library in one place. With Air Video HD, you can take your entire media library on your computer (Windows and Mac only right now, Linux coming soon) on-the-go with your iPhone or iPad. Just install the server software on your computer and then link it with your iOS device and voilà, your media is going to go wherever you go. It's easy to set up and having the freedom of watching your videos no matter where you are is quite amazing. Air Video HD makes it easy.
Tweak the experience. While we may have huge libraries of media files, sometimes we still need to make tweaks while watching the movies and television episodes themselves. Fortunately, Air Video HD makes it easy to choose your preferred subtitle, as well as other visual and audio settings. The popover menu for these individual settings is easy to access while watching videos, and does not get in the way of anything. Plus, there is a smooth transition that makes it even more seamless, and you get a minimized version of the video when you need to go back and access the library, so the experience is not quite interrupted abruptly.
Download videos. While the magic of Air Video HD is the ability to stream your entire media library, sometimes we just can't do that due to bandwidth caps on our home networks and even wireless Internet connections. Fortunately, Air Video HD has you covered. Before you take off on your journey that requires a ton of video to keep you company, you can download files locally on to your iOS device storage so that they can be accessed anytime, even without a data connection. Of course, you're going to need the available space on your iPhone or iPad, but having the option to download is nice since we all don't have super fast wireless data without limits just quite yet, right?
What is it about?
Air Video HD is a slick app for iOS that lets you connect to your computer's media library and stream or download the files onto your iOS storage. You can customize the experience such as choosing a preferred subtitle language and audio, and the experience doesn't get interrupted when you need to go back to see your library. Air Video HD is a great app for media enthusiasts and should be a staple in anyone's collection. Make sure to check it out today and set up your own media server with Air Video HD.
For those who...
- Have large media libraries
- Want to stream or download their entire collection
Not for those who...
- Don't care for streaming their own media
- Prefer to use streaming services
Why we love it
It has a slick interface and is easy to use. Plus you can stream or download your files for convenience.
Air Video HD is $5.99 but there are more add-ons
Join Early Access
App Store Description
Air Video HD is the ultimate streaming video player for all videos stored on your computer. If want to watch them on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple TV, this is the app for you.
Download and install the server software on your Mac or PC (Linux coming soon) and you’ll be watching your videos on your device in seconds. Going somewhere without network access? Download is just one tap away.
Don’t worry about video formats, codecs and bitrates, let Air Video HD handle the dirty details for you. If needed, Air Video HD will transparently transcode the video (“on fly”) so that it plays on all supported iOS devices, including Apple TV (with surround sound and soft subtitles). But we took special care to ensure that transcoding is only done when necessary. No matter what format the video is in, AVI, DivX, MKV and other videos just work.
Major Features in Air Video HD 2.0
* Beautiful user interface optimized for iOS 8. With special support for iPhone 6 and 6+, we make sure your valuable screen space is not wasted
* State of the art playback pipeline. We take our transcoding seriously. Support for soft subtitles, H.264 passthrough for your HD videos and surround sound on Apple TV will let you enjoy your media the way it is supposed to be.
* Video Download. Going somewhere without internet access? Air Video HD is the easiest way to get your videos to device. Simply browse to your video and press download. That's it. With one slider you decide if you want to prioritize video quality or save space on device.
* Synchronized settings. You can stop video on you iPhone and resume on your iPad. Playback settings (including subtitle and audio selection), history and many other are synchronized as well.
* History. Quickly navigate between previously visited folders and played files. See which videos have already been played and which are new. Did we mention that history can be synchronized across all your devices?
* Audio and Subtitle synchronization adjustment (2.0). Your subtitles being out-of-sync is no longer a problem, you can correct it in just few taps.
* Video playback speed control (2.0). In a hurry? Speed it up!
* Aspect ratio control (2.0). Now you can finally correct those those weird looking videos. Also works when playing Apple TV of course!
* Many other features waiting for you to explore
Note that Air Video HD will not play DRM protected videos. All video content purchased through iTunes includes DRM. Video podcast content is free and does not include DRM protection.
The free server software (available for OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and Microsoft Windows) is needed to stream and convert the videos and can be downloaded at http://airvideoapp.com .
AppAdvice does not own this application and only provides images and links contained in the iTunes Search API, to help our users find the best apps to download. If you are the developer of this app and would like your information removed, please send a request to [email protected] and your information will be removed.