Watch the trailer
New mechanics. Alto's Odyssey takes place in the desert, and there are new game mechanics to help you out. Jump in tornadoes for a lift, ride walls, and jump off of hot air balloons.
The workshop returns. There are many upgrades and items you can purchase in the workshop to improve your runs. But careful, as they can be costly.
Use power-ups wisely. You'll find random power-ups on your run. Use these to your advantage to collect every coin, smash through rocks, and more.
What is it about?
Alto’s Odyssey continues every aspect listed above to let you get lost in the world, and yet still be focused on every shifting slope of the downhill. The basis is then set to build upon it by transporting Alto from the snowy mountains to the shifting dunes for a new sandboarding challenge. The new locale introduces three distinct biomes to travel through with a desert, canyon, and temple. Each area has their own differentiator including the wall ride in the canyon and water flow in the temple that are variations from the previous installment as well. The best part is that on long runs, you can travel between multiple biomes and even if you don’t you can appreciate the procedurally generated intricacies for variations within a biome between runs.
Why we love it
For any endless game, the biggest question is replay factor. Alto’s Odyssey doesn’t reinvent the wheel, so there’s some hesitancy from the get go. Instead, the game focuses on more compelling missions and unlockables. Each biome is unlockable from the get go for initial replay intrigue, especially since future missions are based on specific biomes. For example, you may need to wall ride into a backflip into a grind, or ride a water flow into a coin pot. These missions always seem within reach at the outset, and most emphasize picking them up in one run. When you start up Alto’s Odyssey, you can focus on missions, unlockables, or simply taking a break from a busy day to zone out of your world, and at the same zone in on Alto’s world. The missions are more compelling, the biomes are more intriguing, and the overarching structure emphasizes a greater flow as you feel like you’re traveling somewhere even within an endless concept.
App Store Description
Just beyond the horizon sits a majestic desert, vast and unexplored.
Join Alto and his friends and set off on an endless sandboarding journey to discover its secrets.
Soar above windswept dunes, traverse thrilling canyons, and explore long-hidden temples in a fantastical place far from home.
Along the way, you’ll grind across vines, bounce atop hot air balloons, ride towering rock walls, and escape mischievous lemurs – all while uncovering the desert’s many mysteries.
• A standalone experience. Alto’s Odyssey is the follow-up to the critically acclaimed Alto’s Adventure, but you don’t need to have played one to enjoy the other.
• Easy to learn, difficult to master. At the heart of the Alto series is an elegant one-touch trick system. Chain together combos, and complete 180 goals — all with intuitive controls.
• Explore Biomes. From the dunes, to the canyons, to the temples, explore a rich and diverse landscape, with each area boasting unique visuals and gameplay.
• Newfound heights. Discover secrets in the sky with hot-air balloons, moving grind rails, and wall riding.
• Master the elements. In addition to dynamic lighting and weather effects like sandstorms and shooting stars, the desert is home to swirling wind vortexes and rushing water.
• Meet Alto and friends. Unlock six unique characters, each with their own attributes and abilities.
• Zen Mode. Complete with its own serene soundtrack, this relaxing mode distills Odyssey down to its purest elements: no scores, no coins, and no power-ups. Just you and the endless desert.
• Photo Mode. From the pause screen, get behind the lens and take stunning photos of your trip through the desert. Pinch, swipe, pan and zoom to frame the ideal shot, and share them with friends and family.
• Original music and handcrafted audio. Headphones recommended!
• Universal app with iCloud support. Play on your iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV, and your progress will always be in sync.
Alto’s Odyssey is a premium game with no ads or in-app purchases. Purchase once, play forever.
AppAdvice does not own this application and only provides images and links contained in the iTunes Search API, to help our users find the best apps to download. If you are the developer of this app and would like your information removed, please send a request to [email protected] and your information will be removed.