Filter your options. Each type of media allows you to filter your choices by age, which is the most common way to go. You can also filter by genre for movies and TV shows or platform for games and apps, for example. Once you apply your filter and hit Save, you will see the available options immediately change to show exactly what you want.
Good media details. For all media items in the app, you can see plenty of details. This helps you make that important decision on whether or not it is appropriate for your family. Does the show have violence or bad language? Does the song include a positive message? All of this is easy to see on the detail pages.
Mark your favorites. Whether it is a movie, game, website, or song, you can easily mark your favorites. Then, access them quickly from the main menu. This is a terrific feature for saving items that you may forget about later or for planning your family night.
What is it about?
Whatever your process is for choosing the films or TV shows to watch or games to play with the family, Common Sense Media can help. This app lets you check out media based on age and includes more filters based on the media type. You can review great lists of choices and easily get further details with a tap.
For those who...
- Have children who like movies
- Want to get full details on age-appropriate shows
Not for those who...
- Do not have children that watch movies
- Do not worry about age-appropriate shows
Why we love it
Common Sense Media is a terrific tool for gathering information on family movie night. This helpful app lets you make sure that the shows you pick are appropriate for your children.
App Store Description
Common Sense Media helps your family make great media choices! We offer the biggest most-trusted library of age-appropriate ratings and reviews for movies, games, apps, TV shows, and books your kids will love.
With the Common Sense Media app, you can search our entire library of 25,000 ratings and reviews in the palm of your hand--and you can personalize recommendations just for your kids!
Create profiles for your kids to personalize your search, and discover fun learning apps, recommended movies, and inspiring books to help your child thrive.
Plus, get movie showtimes and download products directly from iTunes, right from our review. (Please note that this feature requires enabling location detection; for this reason our app is not for kids under 13.)
• Detailed reviews give you critical information, including amount of violence, sex, bad language, positive role models, and much more.
• Want a second opinion? See reviews and ratings from other parents and kids too.
• "Picks for My Kids" allows you to create profiles for each of your kids and personalize your search for age-appropriate movies, games, TV shows, and more.
• “Best Lists” are hand-picked lists from our editors to help you discover the very best media for your kids.
• "Families Can Talk About” feature gives you conversation starters to talk to your kids about what they are watching, playing, and reading.
• “Get Showtimes” allows you to search for movies in nearby theaters without leaving the app.
• Watch video reviews and trailers for top movie releases.
• Save reviews as favorites or share with friends on Facebook or Twitter.
• Get notifications when new reviews are posted.
• Available for iPhone and iPad.
Note: you cannot view actual media in our app (except for our video reviews), though we do offer iTunes and Amazon links.