Watch the trailer
A unique spin on learning languages. Memrise turns language learning into a game. Your goal is to train to take on a tyrant species bent on forcing uniformity on the world. You prepare for battle by learning new languages.
Your first lesson. In your first lesson, you'll learn some basic greetings and phrases. They're played and displayed, so you learn to recognize them and hear them.
Goals and memorization. You have daily goals, both for learning and mastering new words. You'll be asked to recognize them spoken and in writing, as well as spell them.
A battle plan for language learning. The first class is your battle plan, and you can continue beyond that once you've finished the lesson plan for the introduction to your new language.
What is it about?
With the Memrise: Learn Languages app, you can choose from a wide range of languages including French, Spanish, German, Chinese, and Italian. In the introduction, you learn about a tyrant force that wants to overthrow the Alliance and enforce uniformity throughout the galaxy.
For those who...
- Want to learn a new language
- Like their education to be game-like
Not for those who...
- Don't care about learning new languages
- Would rather just use rote memorization instead of a fun way to learn
Why we love it
Memrise has a great selection of languages to choose from. In total, here are 77 languages you can choose from, ranging from Afrikaans to Zulu (and plenty in between). I decided to take on Japanese and Polish. You begin with simple phrases like hello, yes, no, please, and thank you. From there, you'll move on to other essential phrases. The topics include general greetings and responses, emotions, food, places and things, and handy phrases. While the Memrise app is free, it does have its limitations. You can only complete so many topics before the recruits get tired and go to sleep. Then you have to wait a few hours to continue your language-learning journey. If you want a more personalized learning experience, you can purchase Memrise Pro to get native speakers helping you learn, the ability to target difficult words so you'll always remember them, and a speed review game mode to hone your reflexes. The only real problem with this app is that it asks you to spell words without focusing at all on the alphabet. Understanding why a word is spelled the way it is can make a huge difference in learning that spelling, especially for languages that use diacritics (accent marks and so forth) in their alphabet.
Learn Languages with Memrise is FREE but there are more add-ons
Memrise Pro Offer
App Store Description
Join over 42 million people. Have fun. Learn your fave language and impress the hell out of yourself with what you can achieve. Let real native speakers teach you their language from the streets of their home town through our Learn with Locals video clips.
Give us a try – your first lesson's on the house.
Choose your language:
Spanish, French, Japanese, German, Korean, Italian, Russian, Chinese, Portuguese, Arabic, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Polish, Turkish or Danish.
Here's why we're different:
We've got killer learning science behind the scenes. It speeds up your learning and helps you remember your new words, as if your mind keeps hitting the save button. Not that you'd notice. You're too busy watching fun video clips, seeing real locals in bucket-list destinations and playing little quiz-type games. The opposite of textbook learning.
Wherever you Memrise, you're a million miles from the classroom.
Then the good bit happens. You're in the moment, a local wants to talk. Do you freeze up? No. Not on our watch. You recall the key phrases you learned. You speak naturally. Not perfect but it's still good banter. You aren't worried. You're just going for it. You're off-the-charts confident.
Download Memrise to:
- Learn with locals: we took real native speakers and shrunk them into the app. Your miniature friends help you learn fun, conversational phrases. A few swear words too.
- Practice games: our science does one-to-one coaching with your mind, while you have fun with Speed Review, Listening Skills, Difficult Words and Classic Review.
- Improve your pronunciation: so when you say 'beaucoup' (a lot) you never accidentally say it 'beau cul' (nice ass). Record yourself and our smart tech will tell you if you got it right or need to try again.
- Learn anywhere: download your course to learn in places that don't have signal and seem to be stuck in the 80s.
- Build an entertaining habit: learn as much or as little as you want. You only need 5 minutes a day to improve. Perfect for making your loo break a lot more fun.
Choose the subscription that's right for you:
One-month subscription for $8.99
Three-month subscription for $18.99
Twelve-month subscription for $59.99
Lifetime subscription for $99.99
You need a Memrise subscription to access all courses and features. But the courses and features that are available vary depending on the language of your device.
• Once your purchase is confirmed, your payment will be charged to your iTunes Account.
• Subscriptions automatically renew unless you cancel at least 24 hours before the end of the current subscription period.
• Your account is charged for renewal within 24-hours before the current subscription period ends.
• You can manage your subscriptions and turn off auto-renewals by going to your Account Settings on the App Store.
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when you purchase a subscription to that publication.
Follow us on social media for inspiration on your foray into the language learning world:
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/memrise/
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/memrise
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/memrise/
AppAdvice does not own this application and only provides images and links contained in the iTunes Search API, to help our users find the best apps to download. If you are the developer of this app and would like your information removed, please send a request to [email protected] and your information will be removed.