The Plex app is a companion to the Plex media server that runs on any Mac. Plex has among the best user interfaces for streaming video and audio on the iPad. The app provides all the meta data of your content, which lets you see detailed information on every TV show, movie, or song on your Mac. The app also supports some picture, video, and music plugins. The picture plugin will let you stream your iPhoto library to your iPad (including events, albums, keywords, and ratings). The video plugins offer access to some online video providers such as Revision3. The music plugin provides access to your iTunes library organized by playlists, podcasts, audiobooks, genres, decades, ratings, recently added, recently played, and most played. While it's feature-rich, it is not an essential app because of problems connecting to the Plex server. When Plex does connect, it's an awesome experience.
Your own streaming library. Setting up a Plex media server is rather easy and there are many instructions and guides that can be found online. Once that is set up, you are able to access your Plex library wherever you are, no matter what device you're using. The magic of a Plex server is the fact that you control what content is available, and you don't have to worry about licensing and other frustrating things about streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and others. Your library appears as a beautiful grid, and you can tap on items to view full details about the title. Plex also does a great job of showing you related titles to your content as well, so it is like an endless rabbit hole.
Get extras. In your Plex server, if you have ripped complete DVDs or Blu-Rays, then you should be able to get access to those awesome extras as well. It's all stored on your Plex media server, and accessing them is easy — just view the title you want, and then select whatever extra footage you want to see. It's much more convenient than having to pull the physical media out, wiat for that to load up, and then see those extras. Going back to your Plex library is super easy too.
More than just movies. While this is a list for the best apps for movie buffs, Plex is capable of more than just streaming movies. You can put other forms of media on your Plex server, such as television series, photos, home videos, and even music. Just select the media you want to watch or listen to from the home screen, and then you're good-to-go. Plex can serve as a full-fledged music player for those house parties, or you can show off your photos in a beautiful slide show on your television. The possibilities are endless with Plex.
What is it about?
Plex is a powerful app that lets anyone set up their own media server from their Mac. Once that is set up, you can access it from anywhere your iOS device is. Plex gives you all meta data, detailed information of TV shows, movies, songs, and more, all from your Mac. There is also support for plugins that relate to picture, video, and music files. You can stream all of your media to your TV and it's the best way to watch what you want, when you want it. Plex is a must-have for anyone who just wants to kick back and watch whatever they feel like watching, and it's a great tool for entertaining guests.
For those who...
- Want to be able to stream whatever they want without limitations
Not for those who...
- Don't want something complicated to set up
Why we love it
It's beautiful, simple to use, and powerful enough for anyone who loves entertainment.
Plex is FREE but there are more add-ons
iOS App Activation (enable streaming playback on iOS devices)
Monthly Plex Pass
Yearly Plex Pass
App Store Description
Plex magically organizes your media libraries and streams them to any device – including all your video, music, and photo libraries. With a Plex Pass, supported tuner, and digital antenna, you can also watch and record FREE over-the-air broadcast TV, including major networks. You can also enjoy podcasts Plus Plex News – the most balanced and comprehensive personalized video newsfeed out there. Try Plex FREE!
• Magically organize all your personal media – photos, music, movies, shows, even DVR-ed TV – and stream it to any device in a beautiful, simple interface, and Plex adds rich descriptions, artwork, and other related information
• Enjoy music streaming from TIDAL, including 59 million high-quality tracks and 250,000 music videos; augment your existing library or just listen to TIDAL—right in Plex
• Podcasts are here! Search for your favorites or discover new ones through personalized recommendations. Plus: 30 second skip, variable speed playback, rich discovery, and full Plex-style support for cross-device playback status (including On Deck, so you can pick back up where you left off on any device)
• Get personalized and trusted video news from over 190 global publisher partners (and growing!), including CBS, Financial Times, Euronews, and top local news sources for over 80% of markets in the US
• Cut the cord! Go premium with a Plex Pass and use Plex Live TV & DVR so you can watch and record free over-the-air HD TV, like NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX, with any supported digital antenna and tuner
• Enjoy free features, like remote access, sharing, security, and casting, see your media beautifully enhanced with rich descriptions, artwork, ratings, and more
• Enjoy premium features with a Plex Pass subscription: DVR & Live TV, Camera Upload, Premium Photos, Mobile Sync, Parental Controls, VIP Perks, and much more
Want to use Plex on all of your devices, any time, anywhere? Visit https://www.plex.tv/ for more information.
NOTE: Playing media from your Plex library on mobile devices is limited (one minute for music and video, watermark on photos) until the app is unlocked. For full functionality, get a Plex Pass -OR- make a small, one-time, in-app purchase for app access. Streaming personal media requires Plex Media Server version 1.3 or higher (available for free at https://plex.tv/downloads) installed and running to stream to other devices. DRM-protected content, ISO disc images, and video_ts folders not supported.
AppAdvice does not own this application and only provides images and links contained in the iTunes Search API, to help our users find the best apps to download. If you are the developer of this app and would like your information removed, please send a request to [email protected] and your information will be removed.