The Plex app is a companion to the Plex media server that runs on any Mac. Plex has among the best user interfaces for streaming video and audio on the iPad. The app provides all the meta data of your content, which lets you see detailed information on every TV show, movie, or song on your Mac. The app also supports some picture, video, and music plugins. The picture plugin will let you stream your iPhoto library to your iPad (including events, albums, keywords, and ratings). The video plugins offer access to some online video providers such as Revision3. The music plugin provides access to your iTunes library organized by playlists, podcasts, audiobooks, genres, decades, ratings, recently added, recently played, and most played. While it's feature-rich, it is not an essential app because of problems connecting to the Plex server. When Plex does connect, it's an awesome experience.
Your own streaming library. Setting up a Plex media server is rather easy and there are many instructions and guides that can be found online. Once that is set up, you are able to access your Plex library wherever you are, no matter what device you're using. The magic of a Plex server is the fact that you control what content is available, and you don't have to worry about licensing and other frustrating things about streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and others. Your library appears as a beautiful grid, and you can tap on items to view full details about the title. Plex also does a great job of showing you related titles to your content as well, so it is like an endless rabbit hole.
Get extras. In your Plex server, if you have ripped complete DVDs or Blu-Rays, then you should be able to get access to those awesome extras as well. It's all stored on your Plex media server, and accessing them is easy — just view the title you want, and then select whatever extra footage you want to see. It's much more convenient than having to pull the physical media out, wiat for that to load up, and then see those extras. Going back to your Plex library is super easy too.
More than just movies. While this is a list for the best apps for movie buffs, Plex is capable of more than just streaming movies. You can put other forms of media on your Plex server, such as television series, photos, home videos, and even music. Just select the media you want to watch or listen to from the home screen, and then you're good-to-go. Plex can serve as a full-fledged music player for those house parties, or you can show off your photos in a beautiful slide show on your television. The possibilities are endless with Plex.
What is it about?
Plex is a powerful app that lets anyone set up their own media server from their Mac. Once that is set up, you can access it from anywhere your iOS device is. Plex gives you all meta data, detailed information of TV shows, movies, songs, and more, all from your Mac. There is also support for plugins that relate to picture, video, and music files. You can stream all of your media to your TV and it's the best way to watch what you want, when you want it. Plex is a must-have for anyone who just wants to kick back and watch whatever they feel like watching, and it's a great tool for entertaining guests.
For those who...
- Want to be able to stream whatever they want without limitations
Not for those who...
- Don't want something complicated to set up
Why we love it
It's beautiful, simple to use, and powerful enough for anyone who loves entertainment.
Plex is FREE but there are more add-ons
iOS App Activation (enable streaming playback on iOS devices)
Monthly Plex Pass
Yearly Plex Pass
App Store Description
Plex organizes all of your video, music, and photo collections, and gives you instant access to them on all of your devices. With the free Plex Media Server software on your home computer and Plex for iOS, you can enjoy all of your personal media on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, and easily share it with friends and family. Plex also makes your media look beautiful with rich descriptions, artwork, and other related information. With an optional premium Plex Pass subscription, you can even sync videos, music, and photos to your smartphones and tablets to enjoy while offline. Parental controls, premium music features, music videos, trailers and extras, and powerful management tools are also part of our premium offering. Getting up and running is fast and simple, so get started now! Enjoy unlimited use of free features of this app, and unlock its full functionality with a Plex Pass subscription -OR- a one-time in-app purchase (see below).
Here are some ways that Plex makes your media experience awesome:
• Makes your media beautiful with artwork, descriptions, and more
• Automatically converts your media on-the-fly to play on any device
• Makes sharing your media with friends and family simple and easy
• Lets you browse, fling, and control your media on most Plex apps
• Gives you access to a wide range of online channels such as TED Talks, Revision3, and TWiT
• Enables you to queue online videos from sites like Vimeo and YouTube and then Watch Later on any device
• Unlimited casting of photos and videos from the Camera Roll on your phone or tablet to all of your screens (such as your computer, smartphone, tablet, streaming devices, game consoles, smart TVs, and more!)
• Unlimited casting of any media on your Plex Media Server to all of your screens
• Remote control of your big screen Plex Apps
LIMITATION: Playing media from your Plex Media Server on the device running this app is limited (one minute for music and video, watermark on photos) until the app is unlocked.
UNLOCK FULL FUNCTIONALITY:
You can remove the playback limitations on the app in several ways:
• Use a Plex Pass enabled account to sign into the app -OR-
• Sign up for a monthly Plex Pass subscription in the iOS app -OR-
• Make a small, one-time, in-app purchase of just the iOS app itself
NOTE: If you've already purchased the app or have a Plex Pass, you do NOT need to purchase again!
Other features include*:
• Accessibility: Connect to your Plex Media Server wherever you are, whenever you want
• Plex Home: Use customized, managed accounts, and restrict content those users can access
• Camera Upload: Automatically upload your photos from your device to your Plex Media Server
• Mobile Sync: Sync media to your phone or tablet for offline viewing
• Security: Enjoy your media away from home, knowing connection is securely encrypted
• Plex Mix: Kick off a playlist of similar and related tracks from your collection at any time
• Rotten Tomatoes: See how your movie collection ranks with ratings from Rotten Tomatoes
• Related Movies and TV shows: Easily find similar movies based on selections in your library
• Top Movies: View top movies by genre, director, and actor
• Movie Extras and Music Videos: Access trailers, extras, and music videos from your libraries
*Please note, some features are only available to Plex Pass subscribers.
NOTE: PLEX FOR IOS REQUIRES IOS 8.1+; YOU MUST HAVE A PLEX MEDIA SERVER (AVAILABLE FOR FREE) INSTALLED AND RUNNING TO STREAM LOCAL MEDIA. VERSION 0.9.12.5 OR HIGHER IS REQUIRED. DRM-protected content (such as video from the iTunes store), ISO disc images, and VIDEO_TS folders are not supported.