The Plex app is a companion to the Plex media server that runs on any Mac. Plex has among the best user interfaces for streaming video and audio on the iPad. The app provides all the meta data of your content, which lets you see detailed information on every TV show, movie, or song on your Mac. The app also supports some picture, video, and music plugins. The picture plugin will let you stream your iPhoto library to your iPad (including events, albums, keywords, and ratings). The video plugins offer access to some online video providers such as Revision3. The music plugin provides access to your iTunes library organized by playlists, podcasts, audiobooks, genres, decades, ratings, recently added, recently played, and most played. While it's feature-rich, it is not an essential app because of problems connecting to the Plex server. When Plex does connect, it's an awesome experience.
Your own streaming library. Setting up a Plex media server is rather easy and there are many instructions and guides that can be found online. Once that is set up, you are able to access your Plex library wherever you are, no matter what device you're using. The magic of a Plex server is the fact that you control what content is available, and you don't have to worry about licensing and other frustrating things about streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and others. Your library appears as a beautiful grid, and you can tap on items to view full details about the title. Plex also does a great job of showing you related titles to your content as well, so it is like an endless rabbit hole.
Get extras. In your Plex server, if you have ripped complete DVDs or Blu-Rays, then you should be able to get access to those awesome extras as well. It's all stored on your Plex media server, and accessing them is easy — just view the title you want, and then select whatever extra footage you want to see. It's much more convenient than having to pull the physical media out, wiat for that to load up, and then see those extras. Going back to your Plex library is super easy too.
More than just movies. While this is a list for the best apps for movie buffs, Plex is capable of more than just streaming movies. You can put other forms of media on your Plex server, such as television series, photos, home videos, and even music. Just select the media you want to watch or listen to from the home screen, and then you're good-to-go. Plex can serve as a full-fledged music player for those house parties, or you can show off your photos in a beautiful slide show on your television. The possibilities are endless with Plex.
What is it about?
Plex is a powerful app that lets anyone set up their own media server from their Mac. Once that is set up, you can access it from anywhere your iOS device is. Plex gives you all meta data, detailed information of TV shows, movies, songs, and more, all from your Mac. There is also support for plugins that relate to picture, video, and music files. You can stream all of your media to your TV and it's the best way to watch what you want, when you want it. Plex is a must-have for anyone who just wants to kick back and watch whatever they feel like watching, and it's a great tool for entertaining guests.
For those who...
- Want to be able to stream whatever they want without limitations
Not for those who...
- Don't want something complicated to set up
Why we love it
It's beautiful, simple to use, and powerful enough for anyone who loves entertainment.
Plex is FREE but there are more add-ons
iOS App Activation (enable streaming playback on iOS devices)
Monthly Plex Pass
Yearly Plex Pass
App Store Description
Plex is a media streaming powerhouse for all of your content needs. Not only does it organize your video, music, and photo collections, giving you instant access on all of your devices, but Plex is also the last app you will ever need for personalized video news. AND, with our premium Plex Pass, you can record over-the-air television and watch anywhere with a supported digital antenna and tuner. Using the free Plex Media Server software available at http://www.plex.tv/downloads on your computer, NAS, or favorite cloud drive (Google Drive, OneDrive, or Dropbox), plus the Plex app, you can enjoy all of your media–even that DVR-ed content!–on all your devices.
FREE FUNCTIONALITY: Unlimited flinging of photos and videos from the Camera Roll on your phone or tablet to Plex apps; unlimited streaming of any media on your Plex Media Server to other Plex apps; control your big screen Plex apps with your mobile device. LIMITATION: Playing media from your Plex Media Server to your iOS device is limited (one minute for music and video, watermark on photos) until the app is unlocked. TO UNLOCK FULL FUNCTIONALITY: Use a Plex Pass-enabled account to sign into the app -OR- make a small, one-time, in-app purchase of just the app itself.
• Stream files from your home computer running Windows, Mac, or Linux (requires free Plex Media Server app)
• Stream files from your home NAS device (requires free Plex Media Server app)
• (Plex Pass) Stream files from your Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive
To get the free Plex Media Server app for your home Windows, Mac, Linux, or NAS device, visit https://www.plex.tv/downloads
• Play almost any video file, including MKV, MP4, MOV, AVI, WMV, and more
• Automatically organize your TV shows and movies with beautiful posters and descriptions
• Cast videos to your Chromecast, Apple TV, or other devices
• Full support for subtitles, including SRT, PGS, SSA/ASS
• Easily share your videos with friends and family – or keep it private
• (Plex Pass) Record TV and watch everywhere (requires tuner device)
• (Plex Pass) Add movie trailers and extras to your collection
• (Plex Pass) Set parental controls to customize your family’s experience
• (Plex Pass) Wirelessly sync videos to your mobile device for offline playback
• Play almost any music file, including MP3, M4A, FLAC, ALAC, and more
• Automatically organize your music with album artwork and metadata
• Easily share your music with friends and family – or keep it private
• (Plex Pass) Create automatic mixes with Plex Mix and mood mix
• (Plex Pass) Show lyrics for recognized music
• (Plex Pass) Wirelessly sync music to your mobile device for offline playback
• Automatically upload photos and videos from your phone to your computer
• Organize your photos with timeline view
• (Plex Pass) Automatic photo tagging based on computer vision
Learn more about Plex at https://www.plex.tv/features
NOTE: REQUIRES PLEX MEDIA SERVER VERSION 0.9.12.5 OR HIGHER (AVAILABLE FOR FREE AT https://plex.tv/downloads) INSTALLED AND RUNNING TO STREAM LOCAL MEDIA. DRM-protected content, ISO disc images, and VIDEO_TS folders are not supported.
The app offers (but does not require) a Plex Pass In-App Purchase. Plex Pass is available for the equivalent of US$4.99 charged monthly to your iTunes Account, charged yearly for the equivalent of US$39.99, or as a one off lifetime payment of equivalent of US$149.99. Subscriptions automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off in your iTunes Account at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, charged at the same rate for renewals. Subscriptions may be managed and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to your iTunes Account Settings after purchase.